• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Durafelt 1/8" hard 36X54

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbutch

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Time to start punching my own felt wads- ordered a sheet of Hard durafelt 1/8" thick..40 dollars shipped

Looked at TOTW- 100 12 ga. wads Oxyoke lubed..10.95

36X54" = 2950 12 ga. wads or 323.00 ordered

will make my own punches as needed-50-54-56-58-63-12 ga.-10 ga.

Laid out 100 12 ga. OxYoke wads on sheet for reference.

IMG_0486.jpg

I never realized that felt was that expensive. But even so, you will be saving a bunch! :thumbsup:

You might want to compare the price on this large sheet of Durafelt to what it costs for a roll of the same product sold as "Weather stripping", for sealing doors and windows. Particularly at the end of the heating season, the large discount stores will often put it on sale, just so they don't have to store it over the summer.

i'd be concerned about what might also be in the 'weatherstripping' (i.e. some sort of asphalt or similar watherproofing) which might make cleaning the Devil's own trick.

still, that durafelt (although a good bargain over factory cut wads) is kinda pricey.

I wouldn't consider it pricey at all. Just by looking at it, and guesstimating, you'd get something like 8,000 wads, or better. Do the math.

I use the same felt for revolver wads. I can get at least 7500 wads out of a sheet of felt. And I lube them with a homemade lube made with beeswax, paraffin and mutton tallow. Makes for great wads that are much better than the ones commercially available.

I did one better. I bought a pile of leather scraps that filled a garbage bag forom the local harness shop for $2.00. I have used it for wads, leather straps, and gaskets etc. for over 15 years and still have a lot left.

ohio ramrod said:
I did one better. I bought a pile of leather scraps that filled a garbage bag forom the local harness shop for $2.00. I have used it for wads, leather straps, and gaskets etc. for over 15 years and still have a lot left.

I just sent makeumsmoke a box of assorted leather scraps...everything from 5/6 oz veg tan to saddle skirting...should keep him busy with wads for a while :thumbsup:

Curious to see the results, I have access to a lot of leather scraps.

I lube felt wads by putting about 30 to 40 in a glass jar, drop in some of your favorite lube I use beeswax, lard, Murphy's oil soap, an old mustard jar is about the right size.

Microwave the jar full of wads & lube, try maybe 30 secs and see what happens, you might need more time. When the lube has melted, cover and shake the jar to get even distribution. Too much lube results in the wads getting stuck together. Wear gloves as the jar will be rather hot.

Save the jar for the next batch as it already will have some lube on the inside.

Looks like he did the math already so it aint pricey at all :thumbsup:

jaxenro said:
Not do be dumb but how do you lube the felt for a revolver?

I copied this from a post I made a few months ago about the wads I make.

fyrfyter43 said:
I use lubed wads that I make myself. The felt I use is 1/8" thick of hard density from Durofelt (item #FM18H-3). I can cut at least 7500 wads (.44 cal.) out of that sheet of felt for $40.

I make my own lube using the following formula:
2 parts mutton tallow
2 parts paraffin
1 part beeswax

To lube the wads, I put a heaping tablespoon of the lube in a plastic container and melt it in the microwave. I drop 100 wads into the melted lube and stir them with a wooden stick until the wads are saturated and the lube is pretty well solidified. Then I put them in the freezer for about 15 minutes. When I take them out of the freezer, I make sure the wads aren't stuck together, and put them in a different container to take to the range. I spend about 2-3 hours to make and lube 1000 wads.

These wads are stiff enough to keep fouling to a minimum, but still do a good job keeping everything lubed. And on all but the hottest days, the lube is stiff enough that your hands stay pretty clean.

54"X36"=1944 square inches

46 12 ga. wads =36" felt so 46divided by 36=1.27 wads per inch

54 " felt=68 wads

68X46=3173 wads

There is nothing in shooting a muzzleloader that saves me money it is a consuming hobby.
show where you can buy 3173 1/8" hard felt wads for less than 40:00 and I will return this felt

I enjoy making my components.. plus I can shoot more for less. I shoot as much as I can rifle shotgun and soon to be pistol..black powder and round balls are almost as cheap to shoot as arrows.

ohio ramrod said:

Ramrod..Glad to hear the leather is working out for you would you care to share what type of lube you prefer using them with..I plan on using them with round ball and shot loads...Thanks in advance...Dan

Tonto..U heap-um nice Guy..Tanks...How come I smell horse blankets? wind must be from South ......Makeumfurnacesmoke-with-bear-grease

Thanks for sharing your lube and application. I enjoy hearing about others experiences...

Thank you for sharing lube applications..I found the microwave use great...Makeumfurnacesmoke

makeumsmoke said:
Tonto..U heap-um nice Guy..Tanks...How come I smell horse blankets? wind must be from South ......Makeumfurnacesmoke-with-bear-grease

Horse blankets no smell no more, washing machine...well, that's another story.

Post office guy said you should have the package early part of next week...why it takes more than 1 day to ship something 75 miles escapes me...

Makeumfurnacesmoke...good name...it suits you :rotf:

I use my all purpose lube and hand ointment. 80%lard (salt free ) and 20% beeswax. I melt the lard and stir in the beeswax untill the wax is well mixed then stir the mixture as it cools. To apply to patches or wads I just rub it into them.

Back