• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

dying my white canvas haversack

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi All,

I bought a white canvas haversack and I want to dye it dark and add some leather to the flap and the bottom, I need some info on what kind of natural dye to use, I was thinking walnuts but not sure of the proper steps to take (like if I need to wash it first, etc....) how many skins to use? mix anything in? any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Here is a link to copy and paste into your browser that talks about using walnut shells. I think it works better if you use the shell and husk, but the principle is the same.

The link is: Walnut shell dye

It looks like a butternut brown when you're done. The longer you leave it in the dye the darker the color.

Good luck,

Mike

Just got done doing a batch with ripe sumac berries. Take about 2.5 gallons of the ripe berries and put into 4 gallons of water. More berries, darker color. Bring to a boil and let boil for about 45min - 1hr. Use a skimmer and get all the berries out. Insert the cloth. Bring to boil and let simmer for 30-45 minutes. After that time put in either 1teaspoon of copper sulfate or rusted iron filings or 3 tablespoons of vinegar. The color will be a little different for each. Boil an additioal 15 minutes. Remove and hang to dry. Once dried, wash. Ready to wear.

Dont use an iron pot. I avoid iron filings when I dye, myself. Iron will weaken the fabric. Sumac is color fast and you dont really need the added stuff if you dont have it. I like to at least use vinegar. It acts as a mordant.

Very pleasing dark tan color can be obtained. :results:

For a light brown, try simmering in tea bags...

Onion skins or marigold petals will produce shades of yellow...

I'd wash it with soap first and dry it in the dryer to remove the sizing, if it hasn't been washed before. That will make any dye take better, and let it shrink as much as it's going to. Tightens up the weave a little bit.

You can use pecan hulls too, makes a litle lighter and more golden brown dye than walnut hulls.

Brew up a big pot of coffee, or throw some in a pot with water and boil it till the liquid is as dark as you want, then put in the bag and simmer it for a little while. Let it cool off in the coffee for a darker color.

If you know any bowyers, get some of their bois d'arc wood shavings, they make a nice yellow.
:results: :front:
Patsy

Why don'tcha let it color naturally. Once a year turn it inside out, and shake it. Anything that dose'nt crawl away, put back. It'll get a nice patina naturally. Mine was made in 1974, and now has a deerhide strap and bottom, and two ticking patches. It's a kinda discusting grey color, but boy does it have charactor. :haha: Bill

If you use blackberries as a dye you start with a light blue tint that fades into a nice old looking gray.RunningBear. :m2c:

Latest posts

Back