• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

E.N. Santa Barbara new to me

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldguy24

32 Cal
Reaction score
I just picked up a 1858 Remington E.N. Santa Barbara that appears in pretty good condition, used but not abused, and have a few questions for those out there that have owned one of these. Will it use a .454 round ball or need a .451 like the Centaur's? Any thoughts on replacement nipples, these look fine but in the event that they ever need to be replaced a little info would be great, not sure if Uberti or Pietta would be same threads or not. I've scanned the internet on these questions and have not gotten any insights so hope someone here has the answers. Thank you in advance.

If I had no way to measure the chambers I would use .454. Call Track of the wolf or slixshot and see what they recommend. I’m guessing they will be metric and similar if not the same as Pietta cones.

i think its best to measure the chambers , using an over size ball can put a stress on loading lever, ect. trying to shave off too much lead.
I almost never use ball smaller than .457” and in the Shooters Model Remingtons I use .465”. In the.case of the Butterfield and 5.5” Colts it’s not an issue even with the short lever. Pure lead is pretty soft…

Edit: I did hear of a fellow (@45D) bending the frame on a Remington when he loaded some harder than pure lead balls… but if the OP’s Santa Barbara is made of sterner stuff than a Pietta. Heck, it may even be as stout as a Colt open top! 😎

20200801_220115.jpeg

Last edited:
Back