• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Early Rustic Arms?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has heard or experienced rifles form this custom shop? The rifles appear to be of high quality and workmanship. I think I have found the perfect (for me) gun.

They offer a German Short Rifle with a 21' octagon bbl in .62 cal with a dark maple stock. I am only 5'4 with short arms so long guns do not fit me the best. This rifle looks to be great for deer hunting in heavy timber. Any opinions?
Thanks
Bryan

Hey there.

I have a rifle that is getting its final coats of stain and finish from Terry Williams of Early Rustic Arms. I’m guessing it will be here after Christmas.

I ordered my gun in May of ’08, when Larry Williams was still the full-time owner of ERA. At that time, his stepson Terry, who made my gun, had been apprenticing for some time with him. Some months after my gun was ordered, Terry took over the business fulltime and moved it from Kentucky to his home in Missouri. Because of this, the backlog increased a bit.

Terry is an extremely nice gentleman as his stepfather was and very willing to work with the customer. If you give him a call, expect to leave a message- he may not get back to you right away because he doesn’t get reception in his shop- but he has always returned my calls.

Anyhow, he makes great guns (I will report back when I get mine- hopefully post pictures though I lost my camera). If you’re not comfortable waiting longer than a year, then you might look elsewhere. I know Terry is working hard at getting back to a one-year wait, but as you can see- my wait has been about one year and 8 months. He has apologized profusely. I guess that’s just something that happens with one-man shops.

I’ll let you know when I get my gun.

I've handled but not fired one of his club-butt fowlers and it appeared well made and of good quality. The finish was deliberately weathered a bit and it looked like a very authentic rendition. I'd say he is priced very fair for what he produces.

Interesting little rifle. May be a punisher in the larger calibers with stiff loads.

I honestly do not care about the wait, it takes as long as it takes. The rifle I want has a very fair price attached to it, and seems perfect for what I want to use it for; deer and hogs within 50 yards.

Since it has a 21 inch bbl, and I want it in .62 caliber I do expect some recoil.

Does anyone have any experience with a .62 cal for hunting or target shooting?

Whatever you do, don't tell a builder you don't care about the wait! :grin: I told a builder not to hurry once, and I ended up waiting about five years! I'm not putting his name down here, because he did tell me three when we started the process, and I did tell him to take his time, as I was getting married and worried about paying for a wedding. :idunno:

This was 2000, so eight years later I have both rifle and wife, and I love them both, so it all worked out well. :v

"Does anyone have any experience with a .62 cal for hunting or target shooting?"

I've shot 58cal with Swiss ffg, and my 12ga with .695" PRBs(80-100gr), and recoil wasn't bad at all.

The shape of the stock has a huge affect on how the recoil is handled. IF there is very little drop from the sights to the heel, and the butt is wide(early guns have 2"+ buttplates)recoil will be minimized.

My 50cal shooting 370gr maxiballs has signifcantly more felt recoil than my 12ga despite being heavier and similar stock configurations.

My .62 is "in the works".

I have several friends your height and shorter, and they can easily handle a 28 or 30 inch barrel. You are unnecessarily limiting the amount of powder that will burn in your gun choosing such a short barrel. At 21", you burn 72 grains. Compare that to just 28", which can burn 97 grains!

It will be the light weight, and the balance of the gun that will determine how much recoil forces you will have delivered. Then, the width and style of the butt plate will also determine how much of the recoil you FEEL.

In my 20 ga. fowler( smoothbore- not a rifle) a 75 grain charge of FFg powder gives me a health SHOVE, but not a sharp jolt to my shoulder. I have a shotgun style buttplate, as opposed to the half moon, " Hawken-stye", buttplate so commonly found on many rifles.
The buttplate on my gun is much wider- more than 2 1/2" at the widest point-- and that spreads out the felt recoil. I have not tried shooting 100 grains , or even close to the 111 grains my 30 inch barrel will burn in the gun.

With that 3/4 oz. RB, those heavy powder charges are simply not needed to kill any deer, at the short ranges where I am going to hunt using open sights on the gun. The heavy ball is going to pass completely through the deer on all but a chest-front shot.

I also think you are going to find loading a short, 21 inch barrel a royal PITA in the field, because even you will be leaning over a LOT doing so. I recommend that you choose a longer barrel length for this gun. You will appreciate it.

If you have never had formal lessons on shooting stances, and learned the difference between a rifle stance, and a shotgun stance, you need to find someone to do that kind of coaching some afternoon for you. It won't take long. But, I found I appreciated the longer barrels when I learned how to properly stand with both kinds of guns.

I have a 22 inch DB shotgun I still shoot, and my 39 inch barrel on my long rifle, so I do have some practical experience shooting guns with different barrel lengths.

I have the musketoon enfield with a 24" barrel which is not much longer. A .58 cal minnie ball weighs more than a .62 round ball, so that should not be an issue.

I hope all is well with ERA's as I ordered a boat gun from them ans have been keeping my fingers crossed . It will be percussion and 20" .75 cal. GO SHORT GUNS!!
P

Im not trying to start a war but, I love short carbine style rifles, whether it is my modern rifles or blackpowder. I have handled long rifles and I do like them, its just my preference to have a shorter gun, I do not plan on shooting 100 yards, more like 50 or so.

If I have a .62 cal ball coming out of the bbl, I do not need a lot of speed to take deer within the distance I mentioned.

I have a 20 gauge/.62 caliber ERA Cumberland boat gun. It has a 24 inch barrel and is pretty light to carry. The recoil with roundball loads is significant but not painful. It is a very well made little smoothbore. I bought it used so I can't speak to timelines or customer service from the Williams' shop. The gun speaks for itself.

Hey JB

Hows it going? Got the gun yet? I hope so, as mine should be started shortly after yours. You are welcome to send me a PM

P

I was doing a bit of reading here recently, and saw mention of "buggy guns" made by Lehman In Lancaster, Pa. Apparently they were short enough to fit widthwise across the front of the buggy, "under the dash".

Back