• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Easy switch from percussion caps to musket caps?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, if you haven't noticed there seems to be a shortage of caps at the moment. I have 1000 #11's on order and a cap-maker kit on the way. I also got 1000 4-wing shutzen musket caps. My percussion rifles include a Zouave, Buffalo Hunter, CVA Hawken, Pedersoli SxS Shotgun, Traditions rifle and a Pedersoli rolling block percussion. I have musket nipples for all of them I think. I've never used musket caps before. Do I just change the nipple and keep on truckin'? More to it that that? Maybe some of these are better suited for musket caps than others? Saving the #11's for revolvers..... Thanks

Well, if you haven't noticed there seems to be a shortage of caps at the moment. I have 1000 #11's on order and a cap-maker kit on the way. I also got 1000 4-wing shutzen musket caps. My percussion rifles include a Zouave, Buffalo Hunter, CVA Hawken, Pedersoli SxS Shotgun, Traditions rifle and a Pedersoli rolling block percussion. I have musket nipples for all of them I think. I've never used musket caps before. Do I just change the nipple and keep on truckin'? More to it that that? Maybe some of these are better suited for musket caps than others? Saving the #11's for revolvers..... Thanks
I've always used #11s on muskets and #10s on revolvers.

I think so, but I'm not sure. I have a buddy who converted his Thompson to musket caps and says misfires are a thing of the past.

For me, misfires were a thing of the past when I started cleaning my nipple and flash channel and using my ball starter to seat the caps firmly... but he doesn't seem to have any trouble...

I'm sure it will be fine. I think it's just more fire. How hard can it be?

Yeah, I don't have a misfire issue. Just an abundance of musket caps. I guess I will try it on each and see how they respond.
The only issue that sometimes arises is if the hammer nose does not hit the musket cap squarely, then there will be no boom. On side hammer guns, I have had to shim out the hammer to get a direct hit, or take off the hammer nose recess so there is more surface area to hit the musket cap.

I use RWS musket caps for most of my T/C rifles. However, my Hawken does not work well with musket caps for the reason Grimord noted above, so I stick with #11's for that.

Back