• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ed Parry Rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freeloader

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone here purchased or seen any of Ed Parry's rifles? (BLACKHART LONG ARMS I have been looking at his site and he seems to do some real nice work, but I hate to plop down $$$ for a rifle from just pictures.
Thanks

I have a Jaeger rifle made by Mr. Perry I got it off this forum. I know Mr. Perry made this because
he engraved his name across three flats of the breech area. This on a rifle that is an exact copy
of a Pistor Jaeger in the West Point museum. I don't like this at all. If the barrel did not shoot so good I would re barrel it to get rid of this giant signature. Otherwise the rifle is an exact reproduction of the original made from rifle shop parts, steel ramrod and everything.

He cut it in very deep so draw filing is out. There are other methods I am looking at like peening both sides of the trench over and then filing. I just can't understand why a smithy would do this to a historical reproduction.

I'm sure the smithy could have marked the gun in a less obvious place, but on the other hand, he might have been protecting his integrity. By signing it as he did, he might have thought there would be no way an unscrupulous cretin would ever be able to pass it off as an original. I'm sure it irks you to have the signature in such a prominent place, perhaps if the signature was more historically correct it wouldn't be such an eye sore.

grzrob said:
I have a Jaeger rifle made by Mr. Perry I got it off this forum. I know Mr. Perry made this because
he engraved his name across three flats of the breech area. This on a rifle that is an exact copy
of a Pistor Jaeger in the West Point museum. I don't like this at all. If the barrel did not shoot so good I would re barrel it to get rid of this giant signature. Otherwise the rifle is an exact reproduction of the original made from rifle shop parts, steel ramrod and everything.

Would it be better if he had put an exact reproduction of the maker of the originals name on it?

Dan

wildeagle said:
I'm sure the smithy could have marked the gun in a less obvious place, but on the other hand, he might have been protecting his integrity. By signing it as he did, he might have thought there would be no way an unscrupulous cretin would ever be able to pass it off as an original. I'm sure it irks you to have the signature in such a prominent place, perhaps if the signature was more historically correct it wouldn't be such an eye sore.

The man that made it can sign it any way he wants.
The gun IS a reproduction after all. Its not as though he defaced an original.
Dan

Hello,
Its difficult to go wrong with a firearm made by Ed Parry.He is a highly skilled top maker of arms and has been a winner at Dixon's Fair for years.His engraving is spectacular ! Many 18th and 19th century makers (i.e.Dickert/Lancaster) signed barrels very conspiculously.I have seen many Rifle Shop kits like the Pistor Jaeger assembled by "builders" who have seriously botched the job.They frequently wind up on internet auction sites.Not Mr.Parry who painstakinly creates historic and or custom arms as the client wishes.
Any gun signed by Mr.Parry is a quality built arm that will increase in value.His signature is well known and I would not hesitiate to buy any guns made by him.
Sincerely,
Hirsch

I have seen other gunsmiths sign on the top flat
or put their initials in the place where the original proof marks were placed. The Original Pistor Jaeger At West Point does not have the makers name chiseled into three flats of the breech. Had I seen this in the on line pictures
I would not have bought the gun. All that being said I am glad I did not see this in the picture
because this little short howitzer is one fine shooting piece of plunder! It is something I can live with!
To better illustrate my point,
My Ferguson Rifle does not have Narragansett Arms
On the barrel, It is an exact reproduction.
My Baker Rifle has the original crown proof marks
with the builders initials on the bottom of the barrel.
My Officers model 1776 Tower Rifle has the builders initials where the original proof marks were. You have to look close to see it.
My 1776 Pistor Jaeger has the makers name engraved across three flats!
I simply do not know a better way to express this.

I guess that you will have to live with the fact that you have a very fine rifle from Ed Parry!
BTW.Narragansetts are made from Rifle Shop kits.They are good(I have one),but are hardly exact reproductions.Better ones are made by Ernie Cowan and a few other folks.I recently saw one by John Bosh that was splendid.

Hirsch

Back