• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Elevation for squirrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herath

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Sometimes ole bushytail is directly overhead.Asumming a smoothie is there a problem with ignition or even danger from priming powder falling out of the pan ?

New to firelocks; you see my thoughts;all that burning powder over my face!I guess ignition is so fast this is not a problem.

Be sure to wear glass's shootin up like that in case ya have a flash in the pan or no spark at all.curt

One day went to a hickory tree grove that was in the middle of a mainly oak woods and immediately saw a gray which went up into a hickory tree. The leaves were still on so couldn't back away for a shot....so, had to shoot vertically. Luckily, I always wore glasses because on the shot, powder was all over my face. Never happened again because I never duplicated such an extreme shot...always backed off for a less vertical shot. Yes, I did shoot the squirrel in the head.....Fred

I may have been lucky, but shot one directly overhead last year...and the same thought was going through my mind as I pulled the trigger. No problems though. Dead squirrel. I may have been in more danger from the squirrel almost hitting me! :grin:

I agree with Curt , I'd wear glasses, I think its a good idea while doin any muzzleloader shootin. I have had burns on the face shootin straight up, they weren't serious burns but it wouldn't have felt good in the eyes. I wear prescription glasses so iv got mine on all the time but I still try to back up a little to put a bit of an angle on the shot.

You can fire a flintlock upside down.
I guess ignition is so fast this is not a problem.

Yeah but if you do a test on firing the flintlock upside down, ignition is good, but you have to remember to be careful not to let go with your legs by accident, causing you to drop onto your head. :shocked2:

LD

You can get some burned powder in your face when you shoot straight up. It may be burned but it still isn't something you want in your eyes. But, anytime you are shooting a muzzleloading rifle, you should be wearing some kind of protective glasses. If you don't get an ignition of your pan charge, you will get a facefull of powder. Again, you will need safety glasses to keep the unburned powder out of your eyes. As long as the burned powder is not still hot, it will not likely hurt your eyes but it can be pretty darned uncomfortable. Unburned powder will not hurt your eyes but it, too, can be uncomfortable. Wear the safety glasses and you will have nothing to worry about.

Back