• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

elk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure why not? As long as you have an adequete load and good shot placement. Last year a good friend killed a 4x5 bull at 80 yards with a .50 hawken using 90 gr FFF and a 325 grain cast minnie. You planning on using roundball or conical?

John

It will work fine with the right load. I have used a .53 Santa Fe for years. A .520 ball will go through an elk's chest at 75 yards with a load of 80 grains 3F. A .530 should do the same.

Just find the best load to be able to place the ball where you want it out to 100 yards.

I've never hunted elk. I would love to do it though. I have shot a few deer w/ my .54 GPR and I think it would be just fine for an elk gun. 90 gr. 2F and a .530 ball. I've never recovered a bullet yet. Good luck. Basset

Have shot a few elk w/ a MLer and the last was a lead cow at a paced off 107 yds. The .54 load was a .535 RB, .018 patch and 120 grs. 2f. The cow went 40 yds and piled up w/ a broad side shot through the ribs and the "ball" was found just beneath the hide in the opposite shoulder. The "ball" was flattened to the size of a quarter......Fred

"54 gpr on elk ?"

Many do it every year with a PRB and 70 and up gr of 2f or 3f, don't need no special modern bullet to get the job done.

Back