• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

End of an era...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pork Chop

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Love 'em or hate 'em, CVA was responsible for getting a LOT of people into muzzleloading over the years. They filled the niche for reasonable quality entry level firearms. Well, I went on their site the other night to check something for a friend that is not on the web and I noticed that there were no sidelocks. Even the Bobcats were missing. Well, I dropped them a note and got the reply today - all of the sidelocks have been discontinued. They are solely in the inline business now.... :(

My first ml was a CVA mountain rifle in .50cal percussion. My brother bought it for me in 1979 when I had a mortgage, kids, and no money for anything else. I still have that gun and I shot it last week.

I was on the site last night and noticed the same thing. Thanks for the info. I just got a Bobcat for Christmas.

IronMan

I agree that many a folks got their start with CVA traditional style muzzleloaders, even me. I can not, and will not feel sorry or the least heart broken over their decision to go completely modern firearms.

CVA has abandon those who made them what they are today by supporting their traditional style muzzleloaders over the years, now they turn their backs on those people.

"CVA... Do not expect to regain the starting traditional market in the future... You burned that bridge!"

Frankly, I never owned one of their guns. I saw them when I was helping a YHEC team. I was not impressed. I also tried many times to help people get these things working at our state range.

I am not normally glad to see a company abandon the traditional styles, but far as I am concerned, I would rather they not keep putting that stuff out there.

CS

2 Knives,

I have sent them a note asking about the parts servicing. I will post what they reply.

I have never understood why folks berate the CVA guns (and all Spanish guns) as being junk. The finish is not quite as nice, but they seem to be well made to my novice eye. Am I missing something? :hmm:

Bob,

I sort of have that in mind with my Bobcat. I have a chunk of cherry on the way that I will try to whittle into something that resembles a halfstock and fit the CVA stuff onto it.

Sounds like a good idea, Pork Chop... If nothing else, CVA parts can be used as training in making a muzzleloader... Not all is lost!

I got this gun new at Wallyworld this fall for a whopping $50. (got a discount due to a 1/8" spot of rust) I have built a few things and finished a few kits, so I figured that restocking this would be a reasonable project. I am surprised that I have not seen photos of that on the web though. It seems natural since the synthetic stock is so hideous.... :imo:

Porkchop..I have the synth stock and want to replace it with wood. when you finish yours I would like to see it if you can put up some pics. Thanks.

IronMan

There's probably some pictures out there somewhere? I have restocked two that I bought over 25 years ago. One was a two piece Kentucky that is now my son's halfstock starter rifle with shorten barrel (24"), the other is one of their early Hawken's that is now my wife's rifle...

Of the five CVA's I own, they are all 20 or more years old and I have never had a problem with them. I have been building custom ML's for myself and friends for the last 15 years and use, Siler Locks, Green Mnt Barrels, sand cast nosecaps, trigger guards, buttplates, and I make my own trigger plates and triggers, barrel pins, barrel tennons,,, you get the idea.

As time progressed, I did notice a cheapening of the metal for locks used, such as springs... Never cared for the wood routered out in the barrel channel, always thought that made the rifle weak.

At one point they did use Maple for stocks. I have two of their Mountain Rifles that have Maple stocks. Then they went to select hardwood??? What the "H" is that. Still, they were good inexpensive entry rifles that brought a lot of people into the sport, but no more...

Like Bob says, build your own. BTW, if you have a CVA, you might want to buy a few parts (tumbler, sear spring, a fly if there one, hammer, mainspring).

So has Traditions quit make'n sidelocks too, they always looked like CVA's, and also had spanish Maslin locks and spanish barrels??

I've always suspected thet CVA and Traditions were part of the same company!!

YMHS
rollingb

My first was a CVA Plainsman, still have it in working condition. Paid $25.00 for it with a ball hung about two- thirds way down with a brass worm broken off in the ball. A friend with a Lincoln welder and a length of 1/4 in. round stock steel welded made me a drill onto the steel that got a hole in the ball and we pulled it out. Funny what country boys can do, all he charged me was half cut on my six pack of Budweiser. The good ole' days.
:: ::

So has Traditions quit make'n sidelocks too, they always looked like CVA's, and also had spanish Maslin locks and spanish barrels??
I've always suspected thet CVA and Traditions were part of the same company!!
YMHS
rollingb

So did I. Somehow I still feel they are affiliated in some way. It can not be only coincidence that they look so much alike...or can it???

I have bought two of those Bobcats..actually one was a "mountain rifle", or something similar...for my grand sons. The Bobcat, the one I'm the most familar with, has been an excellent shooter.
I thought it was one heck of a deal for a entry level rifle for a 13 year old.

Russ

.............snip.............. all he charged me was half cut on my six pack of Budweiser. The good ole' days.
:: ::

Man! You must have been desperate to get that ball out! :crackup: :crackup:

Russ

Somehow I still feel they are affiliated in some way. It can not be only coincidence that they look so much alike...or can it???

Jest seen on anuther thread, wher a fella says Tradition no longer offers sidelocks either!!

"Coincidence",..... I doubt it!! :imo:

YMHS
rollingb

Back