• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

End of Season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runningbadger

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Well the last day of the late season is tomorrow, and I have to work :cursing: Anyway I have gone out almost every weekend since regular season started in October. The wife is finally happy to have me back in the house. Anyway, I hunted the whole season with my Harpers Ferry .54 cal. I did get a couple of does and a buck, but my favorite animal that I shot was the Squirel I shot last Monday. At about 30 yards I was able to take it by the head. It was one of those shots that will always stick with you for a long time. Hopefully next year I will get to hunt with my new J.P. Beck styled rifle I am currently building. Nice to know that the Harpers Ferry shoots true cause it took long enough to find a load that it liked so I could sight it in at 75 yards. I guess the moral of the story is, good things come to those who wait.

I have killed a squirrel or two with my .50 while deer hunting. I got a .54 flintlock and used it this past ml season. Didn't get anything but did learn how to keep it dry in the rain. It might take a squirrel someday as well. Glad you had fun and a safe season! :thumbsup:

Well, although I didn't take any big game this past season, I did have a wonderful time.
I'm retired, so I have lots of time to hunt. Combining the various open seasons here in Tennessee, we have a deer season over two months long. I use my muzzleloaders throughout all the open seasons, except bow and arrow season, of course. I probably spent around 15 - 20 days in the woods. I hunt heavily timbered, steep mountain country. Deer are relatively scarce and scattered in "pockets".
I only saw a total of three bucks. None of them presented me with a decent shot. I did have good opportunities to take three different does, but I declined to shoot them. So, I ended the season without firing a shot.
However, my hunting partner did take a nice 8 point. We split the meat.

I'm getting things together for a end of season hunt around this part of Fl. for me anyway. It's the last public land hunt around here I know of and I had to get picked for it. It's a modern gun hunt, but I'm going to hunt with flintlock unless it's just pouring down rain and it may be the first day..Thurs..sposed to rain with possible thunderstorms. I'll use my cow's knee if not a toad stringer going on.

I'll go early tomorrow and pitch tent, scout and hunt Thurs. through Sun. I've already been looking the place over and it's absolutely eat up with game. Most buck sign I've ever seen anywhere in over 50yrs of serious hunting. There's big rubs and scrapes everywhere.
muzzyrub.jpg
So many big rubs if they aren't in this catagory I don't even pay attention to them. Trails that are just cut into the ground and look like one side of a wood's rd. Just used down to bare dirt about a foot wide. Acorns everywhere and still falling.

It's 4pts on one side at least 1" in length..but it's the last hunt in there..already been 3 hunts. It's called a Special Opportunity Hunt..you have to put in applications all you can afford for $5 a piece and then pay another $100 if you get picked. I put in a hundred dollars worth of applications and got the last hunt..got lucky. People put in a couple thousand dollars worth to get picked and the big dollar boys do get it every yr.
The thing should be illegal in my opinion for tax payers public land use. But I got picked and am going to take advantage of it. Just hope I don't let too many walk looking for the big one and end up with nothing.

This deer was killed in there.
Stovall_record_buck.jpg

I think photobucket is having problems and the photo will show when they get straightened out..if not I'll fix it.

Best of luck Hoyt! I hunted state lands up here, but didn't see any deer that I could take. Maybe next year...

Back