• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

End of squirrel season in NC

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Egler

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Yesterday was the last day of squirrel season in NC until October. :(

Took my last shot in the last few minutes of the season. Missed, but that's ok, it was GREAT to be out hunting! :grin:

And only 7 more months to the 2013-14 squirrel season!

Squirrel Tail said:
Yesterday was the last day of squirrel season in NC until October.
Ended for me 3 weeks ago...don't seem to have many in the little woodlot I hunt and the weather turned cold...opted out for coffee by a warm fireplace with my better half...LOL.
The good news is Turkey opens in 5-6 weeks.

That would explain why they are now running all over my place when a week ago there wasn't a sign of any.

Isn't it strange how different game departments decide on such different squirrel seasons, even in habitats which must be pretty similar? Kentucky season is May 18-June 21, Aug. 17-Feb. 28, 2014. Daily limit 6, possession 12. It has been that way for many years, and squirrels are said to be our most stable game population, so it works.

Spence

I would like to have a split season, although I have to admit that at least with an October thru February season I don't have to worry about bug repellent like I would in the summer. :haha:

Spence, I know you eat your sqirrels, but aren't they affected by warbles in the warmer weather?? Down here in NC they always said, wait until a good frost to kill them off. Just curious...Bud

I guess warbles aren't a problem in our area. In all the years I've been hunting squirrels and rabbits here I've only ever seen one rabbit with one, and that was in the deep winter.

There is a problem with parasites in those early seasons, but it's ticks and chiggers on the hunters. :cursing:

Spence

yep season ended in Tn too,,,,,,guess thats why I'm seeing them again everywhere,Wife says they check their calenders like dear do to see when it is safe to get out again :haha:

Our's ended too yesterday. Killed quite a few this year. Got some in the freezer for some stews. Now its time to get serious on some longbeards. Just 2 more weeks :grin:

Back