• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

English Game Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackhorse

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have had good shooting with Caywood flinters. I just sold a Wilson. My question would be,, The Caywood English Game Gun,,, Does anyone have any thoughts about the time frame/historical accuracy of that particular piece. I like the thought of the 30 inch barrel that it comes with.

The Caywood English Game Gun,,, Does anyone have any thoughts about the time frame/historical accuracy of that particular piece.

I have a couple of friends that use the "game guns" in .54 caliber for hunting and reenactment.

I would classify these as examples of guns assembled from available parts by a decient frontier gunstocker.

Sort of an English, German, French smoothbore with sights.

Neither of them has ever been confronted at any of the several historic sites (either F&I, Rev War or frontier outposts) they vollunteer at, over the historic accuracy of the guns.

Between them I know they have worked Mansker's Station (strict jury), Martin's Station (even stricter jury), Fort Loudoun, TN (F&I jurried site) Sycamore Shoals and Kings Mountain (both jurried Rev War events).

If anyone has ever objected to the presence of these guns it was not anyone that the jury committed would listen too, and these are guys that will make you put away a coffee pot if it has the wrong spout!

In addition, I have seen one of the women snuff candles at 25 yards (during a night shoot and more than one time), using her husband's .54 game gun.

Scarey thought, ain't it!!!

:front:

Although these english rifles did exist, they were quite rare....even in England. Many were stocked using german barrels. These were short barreled rifles, having the same barrel length as their german counter parts.
These were purchased and used by well to do folks that had access to deer parks.These were made by the top gunmakers in England and were quite expensive compared to your run of the mill fowling piece.
Finding one of these in use in the colonies would have been somewhat unlikely, unless you portray an english gentleman on "safari" in the colonies.
None the less, I think they're p[retty cool when they're built right. :peace:

Although these english rifles did exist, they were quite rare....even in England.

Absolutely, refreshingly right :thumbsup:

The only animals in the UK that warrant a rifle are the deer and they were protected in deer parks to be hunted by Gentlemen with horse and hound right through until sometime after the Napoleonic wars when the French started to re-arm and the rifle volunteers were invented.

The Victorians then went rifle crazy and invented the sports of African big game hunting and long range deer shooting in Scotland. This is why 99% of English rifles are fancy caplocks.

If a deer had to be shot before then, your gamekeeper simply loaded buck shot into his smoothy, sneaked up real close and shot it for you. Dashed unsporting if you ask me ::

Mike, I agree with you here and it seems to me that Caywood may have loosely patterned their gun after the Wm.Turvey rifle {Shumway RCA No.14} that I like a lot but they didn't get as close as I would have preferred. I saw a Turvey fowler last year,I think at Nashville, being carried around by a visitor.It looked pretty good but the forestock had probably been shortened to half stock.It might have been an original half stock but I rather doubt it. I asked him what he wanted for it and he said he had turned down $3500.00 so I didn't pursue it although unless he has sold it he's still looking for the pot of old.
Tom Patton :thumbsup:

Chambers has resently came out with a short barreled english stalking rifle. I should have one in my hands next week, I'll give a report if anyone is interested.

I knew that but had forgotten.Whatever they do it will be right. I really like that little Turvey gun and I wouldn't mind having one except that I don't really need one and I'm not sure how appropriate it would be for a native from Canada.
Tom Patton :thumbsup:

This Friday, I'll be driving to the Asheville,NC area to take delivery of my .54 English sporting rifle kit from Jim Chambers. I'm looking forward to the pleasant 2 hour drive from SC and the visit. Unfortunately the finished Wm Turvey rifle is now at the photographers and not at the Chambers shop.

Back