• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

English (?) Pistol for I.D.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm considering adding this pistol to my collection. But, having trouble identifying. Maybe others can assist?
At first glance from the photos I thought this might be an English 1730's to 40's Dragoon Pistol. But it's not. While the butt cap looks similar, the rest of the brass hardware is different - more plain. And, the brass nose cap? I know it's not a Sea Service pistol. But, the Pistol and it's markings look very English. Can anyone I.D. this piece? Any help appreciated. Thanks, Rick.
DSC07448.jpg

DSC07460.jpg

DSC07461.jpg

DSC07459.jpg

DSC07456.jpg

DSC07462.jpg

DSC07467.jpg

DSC07450.jpg

DSC07451.jpg

DSC07466.jpg

DSC07452.jpg

DSC07464.jpg

Hi VT. Belgian. Yes, that makes sense. I'll bet you're right. Maybe others here can date this? The initials on top of the barrel tang look like it may have seen use here in the U.S. at some point? Thanks, Rick.

Belgian manufacture is possible, even likely but I am disappointed that the proof marks are not visible, it could be northern European as well.

I am thinking that the tang markings indicate European use, I seriously doubt that it saw the U.S until after 1945 when it may have been brought back by a returning military officer or imported.

Thanks!! This one is hard to pin down. I'll keep researching. If it's a Military issue, it should be traceable as to it's origin. Rick.

Hi Ricky,
Following up my hunch that it is Danish or Norwegian, I found an example on the internet. Google "Norwegian flintlock pistol" and go to the Horst Held website that is listed.

dave

You are most welcome Ricky. With that Google search you also will find a number of European and Norwegian sites that have a lot of examples. Apparently, the pistol is a fairly common find in Europe.

dave

Yeeeep! I knew that I had seen this before but couldn't quite place it. Thanks for posting...I won't forget next time. Let us know if you add it to your collection...I wouldn't mind adding one to mine...if I could find it cheap :grin:

Thank you all for your replies. I'm still thinking about it. :hmm: The asking price is very fair. I've purchased to many (or is there such a thing?)guns this year already. But this one might be too good to pass up. The only flaw I can see is a small broken piece from the pan fence. Otherwise, it's all complete. The lock is in working order. He took it off the gun and sent me photos. Internals in real good shape. I'll keep you posted. Rick.

ricky said:
I've purchased to many (or is there such a thing?)guns this year already.

Too many guns THIS YEAR!? :shocked2: That indicates you have purchased more than one in a year! It takes me several years of justifications to finally wear the wife down to get ONE more gun.

Man, I am envious! :thumbsup:

I've been working on getting another Luger P-08 for a year, and I'm still working on it. Been working on a Brown Bess for two years.

So if you can, I'd say go for it!

I was good with placing new guns in the safe and telling the wife "Oh I have had that for years" Then I filled the safe up :grin: Now the wife can tell whin I get a new gun. Have to get a bigger safe.

Back