• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Enjoying the T/C Hawkins Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayugad

50 Cal.
Reaction score
sightadjustment30yards-addition.jpg

Today was a beautiful day here. Without a doubt one that will melt off the snow. So I had shot the T/C Hawkins .50 caliber yesterday and last night made a slight sight adjustment. I wanted to see where it was shooting today.

So back out with it. The rifle shot flawless. Ignition was real fast. And I think I can live with the adjustment I made to the sights. Granted this was only 30 yards off a bench rest, but I can not wait to get back to further stations....

Warm weather means more shooting... ::

The one thing I did notice was I think the barrel fowled out rather fast today. Although I shot that above group without swabbing, within 12 shots I found that there was a need to swab. One ball in particular I thought I was going to have to hammer down the barrel. I was not sure if it was the fowling or the ball was off sized (they were casted in my shop). Now if I could just master this flint knapping thing... Still trying to learn though..

Cayugad - Look's like you have your huntin' load! :RO: There are some previous posts on flint knappin'. Roundball had some good instructions on knapping flints in response to a question I had about three weeks or so ago. Enjoy the T.C. :thumbsup:

sightadjustment30yards-addition.jpg

Today was a beautiful day here. Without a doubt one that will melt off the snow. So I had shot the T/C Hawkins .50 caliber yesterday and last night made a slight sight adjustment. I wanted to see where it was shooting today.

So back out with it. The rifle shot flawless. Ignition was real fast. And I think I can live with the adjustment I made to the sights. Granted this was only 30 yards off a bench rest, but I can not wait to get back to further stations....

Warm weather means more shooting... ::

The one thing I did notice was I think the barrel fowled out rather fast today. Although I shot that above group without swabbing, within 12 shots I found that there was a need to swab. One ball in particular I thought I was going to have to hammer down the barrel. I was not sure if it was the fowling or the ball was off sized (they were casted in my shop). Now if I could just master this flint knapping thing... Still trying to learn though..

Nice...nothing like a single ragged hole in the target!
And that's good testimony to the quality and speed of TC's current flint locks...you get those kind of groups with a fast lock, fast ignition
:redthumb:

I'm beginning to get the flintlock bug. Had one in my teens -- an original .69 caliber Hutchinson pistol, Dublin Castle proofmarks, c. 1770 or thereabouts and still very much a shooter in the 1950s -- but that gun was stolen in 1964, and I've not had a flinter since. I know that lock quality is a big problem, and I think I'd still prefer a pistol to a rifle or musket, but that's surely not set in cement, and I'm absolutely open-minded. Any recommendations, especially in the $300 price range?

OldGrayWolf

I know so very little about flintlocks in general and especially pistols I would not even venture a guess for you.. But this is the forum that has the answers for you. Perhaps the others reading the post can help you out. I really like shooting flintlock. In fact I shoot them now about 70% of the time over the other rifles....

how many shots is that hole made of............bob

To be honest I forgot to count. I can see there must be at least five, maybe even more in there, but I really could not tell you.

cayugad: Looks like you have a "keeper". T/C Hawkens, are great muzzleloaders. I also get similar results with my new T/C Hawken flinter. Goex FFFG in the main charge, and in the pan, with a prb. You are right, now that the weather is getting warmer, it is time to shoot!

Back