• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Enough Medicine?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt. Fred

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I've got a question. I recently moved to eastern North Carolina and I am hoping to try to find one of the big black bear they have around here. I knew they had some big ones but I didn't realize how big. 500lbs is not that unusual and they get them up to near 700lbs!

I have a TOTW Jm Bridger Hawken that I hope to have built by next season. It is a 54 cal and I planned on using PRB. Should I get this barrel bored out to 58cal for critters that big? I'd just swap barrels but I've got it fit to the breech and tang etc already.

I'd be hunting from a stand most likely and plan on keeping any shots real close. Under 50 yds and preferably less than that.

I'm not looking forward to the additional recoil of a 58 but I'm concerned about having enough gun.

Chances are, your going to see a hell of lot more bears half that weight you just posted. Not saying you'd never see a big bruin but most bears are smaller. If your stand hunting and keeping shots under 50 yards, I see no reason why the .54 ball with a stout load wouldn't do you just fine here as long as you put it where it needs to be.

Ahh that's encouraging. I really would prefer to stay with the 54. I am definitely more of a meat hunter than trophy so if a decent size bear were to wander by I surely wouldn't wait for a 500 pounder. I have done a ton of bow hunting so I really tend to hunt thick cover with real close shooting so if the 54 would do it at those ranges than I'm a happy camper.

I also have killed enough game that at this point in my life if I don't get the shot I want the critter will walk away. I don't bow hunt any more but it taught me a lot about picking your shots.

Thanks.

I used a .45 for deer in eastern NC from 1977 until 1990...In the late 80s I had a big black bear come within 40 yards of me and there I sat with a .45 and 75grs of powder...

I had been considering a .50, but my thoughts turned to a .54 at that time...I did a little research and noticed in the NMLRA record book that the largest grizzly was killed with a .54 and 120grs FF powder...The shot was about 100 yards and the ball went through both lungs and was found under the hide on the off side...The bear ran about 75 yards...

Funny thing is, that's the last one that I've had come that close during the season when I had a muzzleloader in my hands...But, I do feel better with a .54... :grin:

btw...What part of eastern NC did you move to???

Last edited by a moderator:
I hunt black bears and moose with a .54 and don't feel under gunned at all.
your shot placement ,yardage and angle of shot would be more of a factor .
also you don't seem to eager to go to a larger cal for the dislike of recoil? ...that will hinder your shooting ...stick with the .54 and choose your shots .
I pass up shots all the time and don't think twice, because in my mind if i have to give it any thought ...it's not the right shot.

just my two cents...well 2.4 cents Canadian

The reason for the worry about recoil is a damaged rotator cuff from about 8 years ago. Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like the 54 will be fine if I do my part.

I'm in Edenton Hawkeye. Just moved here from Charlottesville VA about 3 months ago. Job change for my wife.

Thanks again guys. :thumbsup:

Your .54 should do quite nicely. Most folks around here hunt them with dogs since baiting is illegal. Getting one from a stand like you would with deer is an iffy proposition since the big males tend to roam over large tracts (80+ square miles) looking for food, females, and cubs to kill so the female will come into heat so he can breed. Not the optimal parent but still fun to hunt. Over dogs your shot is likely to be 25 ards or less with the bear up a tree sorta like mountain lion hunting. I'm 35-40 miles south of you in Williamston.

Fred...I grew up in Sunbury, 30 miles north of Edenton...I love that part of the state, still have family there, but live near Greensboro now...

Runnball do you happen to know George Bagley, he is my uncle, my dad's brother...He was the Honda dealer for years...He's about 80 now and slowing down, moved to the area in the 60s...

btw...You aren't supposed to bait bear, but if you happen to leave your deer carcasses in the woods for a few weeks before the season sometimes they seem to show up during the season...

Don't really know him but used to do a little business with him back in the 70's when I had a Honda. I would buy parts from him to keep it running.

Yup, it seems like a real nice part of the state you guys. I like to fish too and keep a boat on a trailer in Hatteras during the summer so I'm real glad to be closer to the ocean.

Runnball, you're pretty close. Let me know if there are ever any blackpowder or historical events going on nearby. I've been watching for them too.

Records of the fur trade show - many bears (grizzly) were killed with .49 to .54 calibers regularly. I shot a 200 lb bear in western Washington with a .50 DGW flinlock back in the mid 80s. Boy, was that exciting - PRB did a good job. :thumbsup:

Back