• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Evening Hunt: First Pig / Sixth Donkey...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben K

40 Cal.
Reaction score
After work, I geared-up and collected my mate - the shopkeeper - and his .270. I carried my muzzleloader, a CVA .54" Mountain Rifle. I was hoping to stalk him in to a pig feeding on Saturday's scrub bull carcass - if we were lucky. I just had my muzzleloader along for the ride, because I like carrying it and one never knows what might happen.

We snuck along the creek toward the carcass. At one stage I had to shout at some feral water buffalo to move them out of the way. Nearing the carcass, all we could see were a couple of adult dingoes and their two pups. But we were hoping a pig might be on the carcass, or wallowing in the nearby creek, so we held fire on these pests that decimate the kangaroo and bush turkey populations.

There was no pig. We checked for tracks. Just dog tracks. We checked the carcass - eaten-out, but just by dogs and kites.

We continued walking to the end of the creek, where the water stopped. We were busy conferring about another waterhole to the north that would be dry at this time of the year, but earlier would draw game. Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye I bespied "two-bala donkey-donkey" (a pair of donkeys) feeding toward the water. I grabbed my muzzleloader, kicked off my thongs, crossed the dry creek - capping as I went - and crouched low to stalk closer. I made it to about fifty metres when one of them sensed something. I froze, keeping a big tree between the two of us so that he couldn't see what was troubling him. The other donkey continued to feed unconcerned, and eventually paused broadside, allowing me to place one of my wrinkled (bad quality - low heat) home-cast roundballs (from my first try) right through his lungs. Within moments he was down, and the other one took-off into the hills.

We went up and admired the old jack. Blood was everywhere, and I began tidying him up for the photo, while my shopkeeper mate decided to try to follow the other donkey and cull him with his .270.

While I was positioning and cleaning the donkey, I heard two shots ring-out, and presumed he'd killed the donkey. Then I heard him yell: "Ben, come over here! Pig!"

Now, pigs are as rare as hen's teeth in my part of the world. I've only shot a handful in two years here, all of them big boars - lone animals. So, I automatically presumed that my mate was excited to have shot - or be about to shoot - a good, lone boar. Hence, I simply grabbed the camera and ran through the bush in his direction. When I got there, he motioned toward a whole mob of pigs milling about in the grass some distance away, and told me to run back and get my rifle. So I did.

I ran through the bush, and then stalked low to some timber between the pigs and me. I think they were about fifty metres away when, kneeling, I steadied the rifle against the side of a tree, singled-out the biggest, and let the smoke out. He was hard hit, and bobbing around as they do when they're about to fall over. And that's when my mate started to shoot. He shot my dying pig with his .270, and shot another as well. He ran up as I was reloading, and told me I should try for the last adult pig left that had retreated some distance away, and was standing around looking confused. So, off I went, got to about fifty again, lined her up, and let the smoke go at her. The roundball - a perfect home-cast jobbie this time - went straight through her lungs and she was down in seconds.

The photo is a bit not-so-good, but it's still a good memory. Being a bowhunter as well, I don't claim animals that end-up with a bullet hole, so that first pig I hit doesn't count to me as a muzzleloader kill.

Interestingly, my mate was lining-up on the donkey when he saw a dingo attacking a pig. He shot the pig, missed the dingo, and yelled for me. As I ran over, he saw the rest of the mob.

It was a great way to end a very hot day - we had the hottest temperature in all of the Northern Territory today, at 41C. In all, my mate shot three pigs with his .270 - something he hasn't done much of, and I shot a pig and a donkey with my muzzleloader. I've killed plenty of pigs with smokeless rifles and bows, but this was my first with the smoke and roundball, and it was fun!

As usual, my load was 100 grains of Alliant Black MZ.

Hope you enjoyed the read and the pictures!

Wishing we could send you about 100 wee piggies a month. - Then they might not tear our farm up.
(A YL out of OK is trapping about 20-30 of them every month on our place & moving them out of state, without seeming to make a dent in the population.)

Fyi, the saying in TX is, "If you don't have hogs, you will."

GOOD HUNTING, satx

Congrats on the pigs and donkey. The .54 is a formidable weapon.

As many donkeys as you shoot, either you are a very good hunter or there are tons of donkeys ... or both. :hatsoff:

Great shooting Ben! That was an outstanding narrative and good photos. When I saw the photo of you next to the donkey, the partial clearing through the top of the trees looked like smoke still coming from your muzzle. That is the ideal sized meat hog and will make some good groceries. Well done! robin :bow:

Thanks, guys.

Those donkeys... Australia has over five-million of them running wild. In my parts, they are not used-to gunfire, and so are fairly easy to stalk with a smokeless rifle, a little harder with a muzzleloader, and almost impossible with a tradbow. In other areas, where they are shot at lots, they are very wary, and difficult even with a scoped rifle. It is a bit of a shooting gallery here, and has let me build-up some experience at hunting with a muzzleloader fairly quickly. Although I have enjoyed very good success hunting them with my muzzleloader, I have also been frustrated in other attempts at them with the muzzleloader. A couple of occasions they won the game fair-and-square, by being alert and disappearing promptly.

A PIMA friend from Northwest NM says that burro/donkey makes good ersatz "Navaho mutton stew". = Just REPORTING, as I've never tried donkey.
(Protein is protein, so I suspect that lots of desert-dwellers have eaten burro.)

yours, satx

You're going to wear that thing out, young fella! I'm working on some red deer country, you ought to come down for a hunt one year?

Mate, we'll keep in touch about some hunt-swap plans. Looks like a move might be happening next year to some exciting hunting grounds perfect for tradbows and muzzleloaders!

Can you tell me about the legality of coming to AUS & importing my ML & XB for hunting AND/OR getting licensed to take "exotics" there??
(As a retired member of the Forces, I can fly to/from AUS, "space A" free.)

I suspect that my Yuken SL fired broadhead arrows will easily "do a pass through" on any of your wild bulls & the CapeGun certainly will with PRB and/or MINIES.

I keep seeing "the parade" of feral bulls in my dreams & much ENJOY your hunting stories from "Down Under".
(CHUCKLE)

yours, satx

Hi Satx, getting a temporary import permit can be done. But I think you have to be booked with a pro. As for the hunting, you just need the permission of the landowner to hunt ferals.

THANKS Ben.

I like to stalk ferals/exotics & don't feel that I NEED a pro guide, presuming someone has land that I can actually identify as "within bounds".

Like I said the "parade of bulls" makes me wish I was WITH you.

yours, satx

If you come we'll lend you a gun and point you in the right direction!

Back