• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Export

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tasbay

40 Cal
Reaction score
Have always toyed with the idea of bringing over a muzzleloader from the States but never got around to it. It used to be that traditional Muzzleloaders were as far as I could tell treated as Antique by the U.S Government so no export permit was required where say the Inline muzzleloaders were treated as firearms when it came to export and permits were required.
Quite a few came over into the country from Dixie and Cabelas with just an import permit required at this end. Of course, there is always something eye catching in the sale listings on this site as well.

Have the U.S laws changed? in regard to Traditional Muzzleloaders or can they still be moved around and shipped out of country in the same way as past, just treated as items not firearms.

Some insight on this appreciated.

I'm not sure how similar, if at all, your laws are you your neighbors in Australia. My friend in Australia has had some stuff shipped to him, but not a gun,,,,, yet. It seems the difficulty is on his end for the most part. The builder or seller here in the states only bears the hassle of packaging up and shipping the gun.
The buyer's issue on this end is just finding someone willing to do it. Several builders have been contacted, on this forum and elsewhere, some don't even have the decent manners to respond.
On his end there are taxes of a few kinds and I believe an inspection, and of course,,,, paperwork as everything is getting so restrictive there.

Hope this helps.

I'm not sure how similar, if at all, your laws are you your neighbors in Australia. My friend in Australia has had some stuff shipped to him, but not a gun,,,,, yet. It seems the difficulty is on his end for the most part. The builder or seller here in the states only bears the hassle of packaging up and shipping the gun.
The buyer's issue on this end is just finding someone willing to do it. Several builders have been contacted, on this forum and elsewhere, some don't even have the decent manners to respond.
On his end there are taxes of a few kinds and I believe an inspection, and of course,,,, paperwork as everything is getting so restrictive there.

Hope this helps.
Australia`s Gun laws are more restrictive than ours though we are catching up with them. We do have an issue with firearms being sent to New Zealand by postal service. Our postal service has decided they want nothing to do with firearms including muzzleloaders (considered a firearm here) and refuse to deliver them once through customs, so they need to be picked up from port of entry.
We pay duty on the dollar value at entry but other than that and a import permit from the government that is currently free. Mainly to ensure what you are bringing in is actually legal to own here that's about it.
I understand Cabelas no longer export a range of items including muzzleloaders, quite a few came from there, TOW & Dixie were also popular. My CVA Mountain rifle was a kit gun that was bought from the U.S to South Africa. It then went to Australia, did a few trips to the U.S.A and finally ended up with me in New Zealand.

Australia`s Gun laws are more restrictive than ours though we are catching up with them. We do have an issue with firearms being sent to New Zealand by postal service. Our postal service has decided they want nothing to do with firearms including muzzleloaders (considered a firearm here) and refuse to deliver them once through customs, so they need to be picked up from port of entry.
We pay duty on the dollar value at entry but other than that and a import permit from the government that is currently free. Mainly to ensure what you are bringing in is actually legal to own here that's about it.
I understand Cabelas no longer export a range of items including muzzleloaders, quite a few came from there, TOW & Dixie were also popular. My CVA Mountain rifle was a kit gun that was bought from the U.S to South Africa. It then went to Australia, did a few trips to the U.S.A and finally ended up with me in New Zealand.
Sounds like your biggest issue will be choosing a gun and finding someone willing to do business with you.
It's an issue even within the US some companies won't ship to states with restrictive gun laws even if the item is legal in that state.

Latest posts

Back