• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

fall hunting outfit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Hawken

40 Cal.
Reaction score
just trying to get some ideas for a fall outfit.weather could be warm or snow and or rain how would buckskins be? seems like if you shop in stores everything is camo and i would like to stay tradional any ideas or pictures would be helpful thanks

Buckskins are great for being on the move so you won't get soaked sweating as they really aren't warm unless you have some sort of lining. Very lightweight and extremely confortable against the skin. I'd take along some insulative clothing especially if you are going to be a ways out especially alone. If it starts to rain the buckskins will soak through quick and you could get into deep kimchi quick if the cold wind is blowing wearing buckskins alone. You can never go wrong with wool for it's insulative properties even when exposed to moisture.
Make sure you have the ability and means to get a fire going and those at home know where you are going and when you'll return.

Can't add to that advice! Be safe out there and enjoy you hunt. :thumbsup:
Dusty :wink:

There are various kinds of wool you can buy if normal wool garments make you itch! And, there are now several synthetic products- poly propylene comes to mind-- that provide the same kind of warmth even when wet. Expect wide fluctuations in temperatures and both wind and humidity in the Fall, even over one day. Take layers of clothing in a day pack with you when you hunt.

Practice your fire-starting skills NOW so you can make fires several different ways by this Fall. Learn how to locate dry wood when its been raining for three day, and how to find dry tinder in any weather conditions. The more you know about survival skills, the safer you will be on any hunt. :hmm: :hatsoff:

Lots of great advice given so far.
I usually wear this shirt which is made of heavy cordless corduroy under my leather pullover coat.
Cabelasprint1.jpg

DSCN0173.jpg

After that, if it gets colder, I slip this poncho over the coat.
5.jpg

My haversack carries all my fire starting supplies and other things that can be used in an emergency. Long leather laces, rope, knives, wool gloves, bandana, etc.
I wear just basic leather boots with good moisture wicking socks. As long as I'm on the move, or somewhat active, I have no problem with cold feet or legs.
Most of the areas I hunt, I've hunted for three decades or longer. I know the area's best water supplies, dead falls for shelter, natural blinds, etc. When I do go into an unfamiliar area, I am always trying to be aware of my surroundings. Remember where you seen that deadfall that would make a shelter, mark in your head, or map, where you last seen good tinder, what were those crows fighting about?
Keep in tune with your surroundings, learn basic skills if you haven't already, and you will stay comfortable.

that's some fine lookin' duds there FH i realy like the blanket poncho

I like the wool leggins and clot, mocs, a medium weight linen shirt to mid thigh, a linen weskit, and a heavy linen caped wrap shirt. cocked hat or touque, the pic below is missing the weskit/wrap shrt and hat. I also have a matchcoat of wool if it is very cold but rarely use it.I will sometimes wear leather (not brain tan) leggins if the weather is moderate and dry.and now and then wear a pair of wool knee breeches in winter with the leggins and everything else.

sqrlhunt11.jpg

Here is the weskit and hat, and dark leather leggins. the open front wrap shirt is often rolled up and tied to the strap of one of the bags when the weather warms up. The weskit is usually considered under clothing but when the weather is warm I often wear it as the outer layer after removing the wrap and sometimes the weskit comes off as well, in general I think wool or linen is the way to go for most clothing.
hunt2.jpg

the link below has a lot of good sources for clothing or patterns for the do it yourself crowd.
http://www.1stroyals.org/links.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Back