• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Famous not infamous riflegun's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spot Shooter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was thinking (ok I'm not think'n I'm ask'n)

What are considered to be treasured riflegun's among those who come to the board. I know the GPR is a favorite, but I keep see'n stuff about the TC hawkin's.

Guess what I'm ask'n is what are the more superb rifle gun's one should make sure they take the time to stop by and visit, shoot, build, hunt down, .....

Spot

i have the T/C hawkens .50 flintlock and with there customer service they really can't be beat....IMO....if you haven't seen my maple stock project i'm working on yet....i'm restocking it with a grade 4 curly maple stock from Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply, Inc....so far it's going good...........................bob

Spot: We told ye so!! Ye's got the bug!!! Once a man builds one o these thins, he starts wantin to build more!!!!

Here's a thought.
Coming to Salina KS on the 3rd and 4th are a Gun Show!
Coming to Wichita KS on the 10th and 11th are a Gun Show!
Coming to Topeka KS on the 24th and 25th are a Gun Show!
Might even be some closer ta whar ye lives, Ah don't know.

Now iffen ye went ta one of these, and ye were real lucky ye might find a T/C Hawken in .45 Cal fer bout $170-$220. Watch out fer rusty bores but the stock can look like it's been run over by a truck. In fact if the barrel and lock are good it's better if it has been run over by a truck 'cause that will give you a lever to get the price down to $150.

Now, ye order a Walnut, Cherry or #3 Curly Maple stock from Pecatonica River for it. These stocks are pre cut fer the T/C but as bob1961 can tell ye, thars some work to be done. That will set you back $127.50 for the Cherry or Walnut, or $142.50 for the #3 CM. If you don't want all them pretty Maple stripes you can go with a #2 CM (60% curl)for $112.50. Add about $14 for postage.
Nother advantage o buyin the stock blank is ye can make the "pull" about 12 1/2 or 13 inches fer the young-un and still shoot it comfertably yerself.

Food fer thought Ah says!! ::

Zonie',

You gonna be at them shows? I'm a bit east of where you mentioned but not far enough so's I wouldn't think about drivin' there.

The way I figure it I need to edu-ma-kate myself as to what's proper, what's fine, and what I shouldn't pass up if I happen across one. It's gonna be pretty hard keepin' up the luck, and performance that I got building that GPR. Old RollingB did me right, that's fer dang sure.

I sure do appreciate the information on TC's, Flint's and such. Ya'll will have to forgive me some cause it takes a while fer the concepts to sink in good. Once I got it, I'll start makin' some decisions. So far I learn'in a good strong flow of information, and that's "ALL GOOD".

Ya know, I'm startin' ta think them double rifle gun's are real neat also. hmmm.... This may just be the best hobbie on the face of the earth.

Spot

Spot: No, I won't be at any of those shows. Kansas is a little far for me to drive. I just noticed you are in Kansas so looking in the "Gun List" at future show sites I picked out the ones in Kansas next month.

You asked a real tough question with this post. At least the way I read it, it boils down to what are the good guns/kits and what aren't so good. As you know from reading all the posts on this Forum, one guy says the ole "loudenblaster" is great, another will say it isn't worth knocking the cobwebs off of it.

In general for factory side lock guns, I rate the guns MADE in the USA at the top. This includes Thompson/Center, Mowrey, Hatfield, Austin&Halleck and a few others. (Mowrey has gone under).

Of the foreign guns I rate the Italians at the top with Uberty, Pedersoli, and some Investarms (GPR for instance) leading the parade with the rest following.
The Spanish have produced a few good guns but many of their guns have not been of very high quality.

You can't go by the "name" on the gun to tell where it was made. There have been hundreds of American sounding companies who are only importers. A few examples are NAVY ARMS, MANDALL, CONNECTICUT VALLEY ARMS, CIMARRON ARMS. This is not to say what they sell or sold is bad, it only points out that it is sometimes difficult to know where a gun was made. Look for the "made in ...." to be sure.

For kits, my ranking is the same. USA first, all others follow.

Hope this helps you

Back