• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fancy hunting pouch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkthrower

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, not as fancy as some I have seen on here but fancy for me.
Its made from 3 to 3.5 oz leather and dyed with homemade pecan dye and then suntanned for about 6 hours after being coated with olive oil. Its amazing the depth of color you can get with this process. The pouch is 8 in. wide and 9 in. deep witha 2 in. gusset. The gusset is from the same side of leather but I think it was a little suntanned to start with but I like the contrast.
It is all hand stitched.
Ron
inlaypouch001.jpg

inlaypouch003.jpg

Hawkthrower said:
Its made from 3 to 3.5 oz leather and dyed with homemade pecan dye and then suntanned for about 6 hours after being coated with olive oil. Its amazing the depth of color you can get with this process.
Nice looking bag, and I like the color. It has a different tone than any brown leather dye I've ever used. I'm not familiar with pecan dye, how do you make it?

Spence

Spence, my shop is under a big ol' pecan tree and when they start dropping off it sounds like a major hail storm on that tin roof. So to get back at them I gathered me up about a half gallon jug full and started boiling them. Just keep adding water for about 8-10 hrs so as not to boil them dry. Just add enough water to cover the pecans and then down toward the end of the boil let it boil down till it starts to thicken a little.Some people swear by the green hulls but I use whatever falls off the tree.
It is best to allow whatever you are dyeing to soak for 12 to 24 hrs or until you get the color you want. Or you can do what I did and apply a liberal coat of extra virgin olive oil and let it set in the sun until it gets the color you want.
After you let something soak in the dye you can just pour it into a plastic milk jug and save it in the refrigerator for your next project.
Ron

Latest posts

Back