• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Favorite 20ga turkey loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADK Ephraim

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Recently acquired a flintlock fowler, 20ga 46" Getz OR barrel, and looking for some recommended turkey loads; want to try bagging an Adirondack turkey this coming fall season. Any help with loads much appreciated!! mjw

One oz #4 shot in a paper cartridge, two 1/4 wads, 60 grain FF. Good for turkey or geese. :idunno:

I like that load, except I go with #6 shot, and only overshot cards above powder and shot. Any wad combo I use seems to blow the pattern.

I like #6 shot, cause I figure this is only 20ish yard load in my cylinder bore, and #6's still have plenty of energy at that range, and fill the pattern in nicely.

Good luck in your load development.

You should be able to find lots of threads on turkey loads in this forum and in the Muzzleloading Hunting. Another great place to start is Forum member George's Blackpowder Notebook website, and in particular the articles Blackpowder Shotgun Basics and The Versatile Smoothbore .

To summarize my observations in what has been reported here and elsewhere, the "equal volume load" with the same measure for powder and shot is a good starting place, but for the tight pattern required for turkey, in cylinder bores many have used the trade-off between pattern density and shot velocity and found their optimum with shot loads varying from 1.1/4 to 1.1/2 times the volume of powder used. For example, with 62gr/2.1/4dr of powder, an equal volume load would be 7/8oz of shot; 1/4 more by volume would be about a 75gr/2.3/4dr powder measure for 1.1/8oz of shot, 1/3 more would be about an 82gr/3dr measure for 1.1/4oz of shot, and 1/2 more would be an 89gr/3.1/4dr measure for 1.3/8oz. Note, however, that the comparatively narrow diameter of a powder measure tends to throw a lighter shot charge than the traditional equivalents marked on the fatter combination shot and powder scoops, and this difference increases as the shot size increases. As I said, the increased pattern density has to be balanced against a decrease in penetration and you have to find the optimum for your firelock as you load it. Some use larger shot than they would use in a modern gun - #6 at the smaller end and often #5 or #4 - to carry the energy better if the velocity is very low.

Also, hard/magnum shot helps get as much out of the pattern and the penetration as one can, and if one is willing to be less traditional/authentic in one's loads, some form of shot protection (paper, card, or, for some, plastic) often helps wring everything one can get out of the pattern.

Regards,
Joel

Many Thanks to all who responded! Now it's out to the local range for some testing with load combos. Again, Thanks!! mjw

Yes, definitely go to Spence's site! I like 3 drams FFF followed by two over powder card wads, 1-1/4 oz. of 5's and an over shot wad.

Snow

I like 70gr 3fg, couple of thin overshot cards, 1.5oz of #6. Pretty stout load but it gets the job done.

Back