• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

February rabbit.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Jess and I have been after a rabbit with a flintlock for a few weekends, the weather keeping the rabbits in their burrows and the gun shooing high was making for a worthy challenge!
A rifle would of been easy, to easy!
The gun I adjusted, at the muzzle, it seems to of done the trick.

25yards just point and shoot, DRT.

Still no rabbit!

Jess was feeling sorry for herself today, she was receiving strong chastisement! She thinks she knows it all sometimes but knows nothing!
With strong emphasis I made her walk to heel and she knew I was on her case!
It was however the look on her face when in the 40mph gusts, (had a pine come down not 30yds away today too)we crested a ridge in a wood and on the other side was brambles. Next I told her to "get in". She looked at me with ears errect and a tilted her head!
With joy she lept forward and started to work the bank side.

Well the gamble paid off and a rabbit broke cover not ten yards away and ran to my left. When just about to go out of view and clear of Jess I flicked the gun through to see a flash and bang, the wind made like there was no smoke so I actually saw the rabbit bowl over, wow I was elated!

Got home, washed Jess, praised her some more and fed her.
Put the kettle on and washed the gun.
Shhh, whispering. I think Jess is still sulking with me but hey, I can't have two females wanting to wear the trousers!

B. :thumbsup:

I am a big fan of rabbits, but they are scarce around here. Occasionally, I find a hare and even more rarely, a rabbit...

You have a super place to hunt and you bring home the bacon more often than I ever could. you both make a good team. :thumbsup:

Good job, both of you. I look forward to your hunts, Brits, they are always fun to hear about.

Spence

Great story and fine photos...looks like you and Jess are still in a 'working' relationship. Once upon a time..... :rotf:

:bow: Congratulations Brit, nice shot. I can't get over the size of your rabbits, they are huge. That one is as big as Jess. Does she chew them too, or just the squirrels. Keep yer powder dry.......robin

Last edited by a moderator:
Deputy Dog said:
:bow: Congratulations Brit, nice shot. I can't get over the size of your rabbits, they are huge. That one is as big as Jess. Does she chew them too, or just the squirrels. Keep yer powder dry.......robin
Thanks.
No she can not quite manage her squirrel tenderiser technique on rabbit, if she tries she shakes her self more!
I have been banging the food in her of late, she is gaining some weight now and is better for it.

The other night she hunted a fox by her self and had a stand off, then the two started barking at each other then Jess had a go at it and the fox took off!
If Jess was 2" taller she would kill fox no problem!

The rabbit made a fine meal tonight :thumbsup:

B.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta be careful using "Yum" around a Brit.

Next thing you know he'll be singing the fish head song:

"Fish heads, fish heads,
Roly poly fish heads.

Fish heads, fish heads,
Eat 'um up, Yum."

Raising dogs and childern is about the same! And many times they act the same, especially when you're givin' it to 'em. :grin:

Great story, pics and hunt! Congrats! :hatsoff:

Glad you got that gun hitting where you're lookin'. Did you use the filing technique you hate to talk about! Oh darn, now someone will go and ask you for all the details! Sorry! :redface:

Spikebuck said:
Raising dogs and childern is about the same! And many times they act the same, especially when you're givin' it to 'em. :grin:

Great story, pics and hunt! Congrats! :hatsoff:

Glad you got that gun hitting where you're lookin'. Did you use the filing technique you hate to talk about! Oh darn, now someone will go and ask you for all the details! Sorry! :redface:
I did file yes. A bees whisker made all the difference.

B.

Back