• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Feldstutzer nipple

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not too long ago I found a nice condition German built 1851 Feldstutzer (Sebastian Diem of Mannheim), and now I'm gathering up for it to do some shooting. I've sourced the correct 10.42mm Buholzer hollow based mold (Hensel). This mold comes with the base plug, and as far as I know is only available within Germany. Luckily, I have an antique tractor buddy who lives there. He purchased one for me and will be bringing it with him when he visits the US next month.

The original nipple has been thoroughly used. The fire hole has been lined at some point, and is still huge relative to a new production. #11 caps do not fit well, even with a pinch. I always replace the used nipple for a solid baseline, so time to do some measuring. Most of the antiques I have worked with, whether from here in the US, Scotland, Britain, or Germany (Suhl), have been a standard size. Usually .250x28 or a common +.005/+.010 oversize with the same pitch.

I assumed this one was going to be a standard 5/16x28 musket threads. Nope. The pitch's appear to be identical, but .3125 is a hair too big.

Measure again...this time breaking out the metric tools.

M7.5x1.0 is the definite reading. Whaaat? Where in the WORLD am I going to find a nipple that size?!
Gears turning. Thinking cap on. Since the pitches are all but identical, could I use an adjustable 5/16x28 die to shave that .0175" off standard musket nip threads? Definitely do not want to run a tap into the perfectly good bolster of this nice antique rifle. HMMMM

Pull out the space phone and search: M7.5x1.0 percussion nipple...expecting much clutter and vagueness, but...A HIT!! The only solid result was from the old standby, Numrich Corp. It is correct in every dimension. Was NOT expecting that! Most of the time what I am looking for has been out of stock for 14 years or 14 days. Both are equally disappointing

Fitting the Swiss Creedmoor sight from Pedersoli is the next job. The socket in the wrist is smaller than the elevation post, so I will be able to file fit the the post to match. Looking forward to shooting this one. With its faster 1-in-30-something twist, it will be a testbed for experimenting with longer paper patched bullets. Offhandedly, it shoulders like a fitted glove.

Back