• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FFFG or FFFFG for priming

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn't find 4F either, so I started sifting it from my 3F. It made no difference over just using 3F to prime with. You can use 3F just fine.

I worked up a 3F main charge for my .54 flinter so I could use the same powder for prime and main. One less thing to worry about. I keep a little 2-1/2" wood plugged brass tube stuck in my horn strap that I refill from the main horn as a priming dispenser. It does get bulky trying to prime from the main horn.

I have also heard that 3F as a prime is less moisture sensitive, but have no proof there. If you get a good spark it works fine for a prime. I used 2F in my Bess for both. But that had 1-1/8" wide flints and I could have lit balled up newspaper with that big 'ol lock.

I shot a deer today with my flinter, using 3f to prime. I did not notice any hesitation at all.

I prefer to use 3f, when its humid or raining (here it seems it either or) the 3f doesn't wick moister as quick as the 4f will.

"I shot a deer today with my flinter, using 3f to prime. I did not notice any hesitation at all."

I am sure that the Deer didn't notice any hesitation either. :haha:

My North Carolina deer prefer to be shot by a Flintlock ignited with Goex 4F...
:grin:

i use 3f when i load my T/C hawken .50 and if i don't plug the touch hole with a pipe cleaner it self primes itself when the frizzen is closed with just enough to go bang............bob

According to Peter Alexander, if a flintlock is tuned properly there is no need for fine priming powder FFG or FFG will work fine

fffg works for both in my .50, .54 and .62 :thumbsup: probably could use ffg in the .62 but its easier to have one horn for now.......who knows what winter time will bring.

I take ffffg only in a shooting match.
I can't say why.Perhaps i'm thinking i will be better than. :grin: Or because i shoot my best result with ffffg.
To be honest , i feel no difference between fffg and ffffg in the pan.
:hatsoff:

A well tuned flintlock will fire just fine with 2f for priming. It will fire quicker with 3f and even quicker with 4f, but with my experience, only by fractions of a second. For some shooters, that fraction can lasts moments, but for steady patient shooters, there isn't really much of a difference. At least, not to me. I do use the 4f for priming though because I do prefer ignition that is instantaneous.

graf and sons will ship you some 4f with no minimum purchase as of the last time i ordered from them.

I developed a load for my .62 smoothie with 3f, and just for simplicity I started priming with the same (after reading here that it would work). I was using 4f (because I used ti think I HAD to) and have found no perceptable difference between the two. I even tried priming with 2f as an experiment, and it seemed to work just fine as well. The 4f might burn a little cleaner in the pan, but I wipe the pan between shots anyway, so that is no problem.

Back