• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fiber optic sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckarcher

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a T/C Renegade, does anyone know if I can get a fiber optic front sight for it? I found a rear one, but not the front. My eyes aren't what they used to be. The old irons are too blurry anymore.

buckarcher said:
I have a T/C Renegade, does anyone know if I can get a fiber optic front sight for it? I found a rear one, but not the front. My eyes aren't what they used to be. The old irons are too blurry anymore.

I have found that fiber optic sights don't help aging eyes.If the iron sights are blurry...the fiber optics will be too..probably even worse. For me, peep sights do much more to help poor focusing eyes than anything.They help your eyes focus on the front sight, while fiber optic rear sights do just the opposite.If you must use fiber optic sights...IMO you would be better off just using the front sight and not the rear.I'm guessing from your name that you also do archery. I'll bet you also use a peep on your bow and can see perfectly with it. Can you see where I'm going with this...I think a peep is your answer!

HiViz makes fo and I'm sure there are many other makers. I'm 64 years old and my eyes went bad many years ago and when they did I went to fo front sights and peep rear sights. My me there's nothing else. I do have one gun that has an "open peep" on the rear and a fo on the front, TOW sells them. The open peep sits where the old rear sight used to sit and the open peep is just that, a peep with a larger opening. It works reasonably well but for me not as good as the TC peep.

I like to stay traditional , but my eyes are fading also, so I cheat by painting my front site with a dab of white model airplane paint.I also from time to time wear a pair of low power reading glasses to let me see the sights without them blurring, when target shooting.

I too am a member of the tired old eyes club. The thing I have done that I am very happy with is paint my front sights with Hot Orange or Hot Pink paint.
I use regular open rear sights and just paint the front sight.
Here is the way to do it.
Clean the front sight real good.
Paint the facing side of the sight blade with white nail polish- may take 2 or even 3 coats to achieve a pure white. Allow 15-20 min for each coat to dry.
Paint over the white with Hot Orange or Hot Pink or Hot Red nail polish. May take more than one coat. Allow to dry between coats.
Now let it sit for an hour
After the hour is up use "SALLY HANSONS HARD AS NAILS" in clear to coat it, make shure you coat it good and run over the edges a little, let it dry and then give it a second coat.
Sally Hansons Hard as Nails is ferocious stuff and will stand up to abuse and prevent chipping or peeling.
Whole process takes a couple of hours what with all the drying time but when your done ya got yerself a highly visable front sight.
Total cost is around $7 or $8 bucks for the 3 nail polishes from Wally World or any big discount drug store.

I have a tang mountred TC hunter peep, and a brass front blade. It works for my eyes and doesn't look out of place.

Most " OLd "Eyes" can be helped by simply widening the notch in the rear sight, to allow you to see more daylight on the sides of the front sight.

If you both widen the rear notch, AND paint the front sight, you have the best of both worlds.

After that, some kind of peep sight- either on the gun, or attached to your glasses, will keep you shooting for many more years. :thumbsup:

What I would like to know is...why you have all the finger nail polish hanging around :rotf: :rotf: !! Just kidding you stole it from the Mrs. or your daughter... i hope.Anyway, kidding aside
I think i'll have to open my rear sight a little on my newest addition as it's a little fuzzy for me now too.

My neighbor has the fiber optics on his hawkin and is taking them off. They didn't help. He wants me to move the rear sight out and make an Ivory front site. (piano keys from before 1900 are Ivory-brittle but workable and can be often found on older pianios sitting around church basements. ) That way you can get a better focus and stay traditional.On my target rifle I have a steel front site with an Ivory insert sticking out the back about 1/16 inch. I paint the steel with a red nail polish which leaves the white ivory show up in the center of the red nail polish If you send me a pm with your email I can send you a photo.

If I were you, I would go for it and give them a try. I have three TC’s each with different sights on them. One has stock TC, one has fiber optics and one has TC peep sight. I like them all and each has a place.

Well DT I do a lot of fly tying and the Sally Hanson is the bets head cement I have found for Saltwater flys.
As to the wild hot colors, I have an 11 year old daughter...enough said
OMG I am 63 and I have an 11 year old !!!

RMC sports makes a fiber optic sight that I prefer; not a big fan of the TC fiber optic sights. With the RMC you have to shoot 6-0'clock type hold to use them right but that's how I shoot all standard open sights; S&W handgun partridge sights are my favorites. I don't think it would help you if you have trouble seeing the rear sight clearly though. You need to move the rear sight down the barrel further until it become clear or go with a tang mount peep but that won't help you much in low light either.

sundog said:
Well DT I do a lot of fly tying and the Sally Hanson is the bets head cement I have found for Saltwater flys.
As to the wild hot colors, I have an 11 year old daughter...enough said
OMG I am 63 and I have an 11 year old !!!

Brag, brag, brag :bow: :yakyak: :surrender:

I'm 62 and still get paid to go to the high school and look at the pertty girls all day :blah: (Such is the life of a substitute teacher) :rotf:

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(am...d=14&subId=167&styleId=768&partNum=RS-CA-PEEP
TOTW has several peep sights like this, has anyone used a sight like this?
I also would like to stay a lil traditional, but see the sights better.
http://davide-pedersoli.com/img/Accessories/USA 422.jpg http://davide-pedersoli.com/?item=AccessoriDettaglio&CategoriaId=1315&lang=en
Has anyone used one of these from Pedersoli?
I have an XS ghost ring on a Marlin and they are the catsass.
But they are not a sight to be adjusting often, as you have to sight the gun back in from target loads to hunting loads (PITA).

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried one of those from TOTW, but the aperture was too blurry for me if the sight was in the existing dovetail for the rear sight. I could have used that sight a little closer to my eye, but did not want to cut another dovetail in the rifle barrel.

I agree with Paul V--opening the rear notch helped me a lot. And I do have a fiber optic front sight on my Hawken. I know it is not HC, but I can see it and shoot well with it. I get FO front sights from Marbles--they have different heights and widths and colors and it takes a little experimenting, but it's worth it to me.

IMGP0441.jpg

IMGP0443.jpg

I literally just sighted the Hawken in today with a new front sight--a Marbles that is green FO, .340" high and .500" wide at the base. With a hunting load of 80 grns. of Goex FFF it is about 1 1/2" high at 50 yds. and I feel better about being able to shoot well and cleanly kill game. My .54 flintlock has a similar set up.

I took these pics today because I had seen this thread yesterday and thought folks might be interested.

I had a .375" high red FO sight on it first, but it shot too low with that height and I found that I prefer the green FO sight.

Here's a pic of my Hawken from this summer--

IMGP0027-1.jpg

First 3 shots at 50 yds. were to the right--moved the front sight to the right a little--second 3 shots a ragged hole:grin:
34" .54 Getz barrel-1:66, .535 Hornady ball/.020 Ox-Yoke Wonderlube patch/80 grns. Goex FFF/RWS cap :thumbsup:

IMGP0446.jpg

I guess I won't waste my money on one of those rear sights then.
I do think i'll use a green FO front sight like yours. I have a green FO on the front of my Kimber .45 and it looks good, the red FO was a lil fuzzy, but changing to a green FO took care of that.
My rear sight has a v, so I don't know just how to fix the fuzzyness of that, w/o moving it farther down the barrel.
Thanks for posting the pics, Good shootin BTW.

Mornin buckarcher ,
Try here. The green is for dusk or dawn and the orange is for good light.
You'll get 3 different size's of both colors to play with

Open those "V"shaped rear sight notches with a jeweler's file to be a square notch, giving enough daylight on both sides of the front sight, as you look down the two sights holding the gun to your shoulder, as the front sight is wide. Your eye will easily center the front sight in the notch, even when you widen it. :thumbsup:

Tru Glo makes a sight that is the same shape as the original TC sight with a fiber optic bead across the top. The package says Hawken Bright Sight TG955. I ordered mine right from Tru Glo.

Latest posts

Back