• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Field birds or deep woods birds???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Which kind of Turkey hunting do you plan on this Spring? :hmm:

I'm leaning toward trying for one in the deep woods this year, but, plans may change.

What's your plan of attack :haha: ?

Best regards, Skychief

Do what the birds tell you to do. Try to roost them the night before and set up ~70 yards or so from the roost trees. If they ignore your tree call and hen call, listen for gobbling and head uphill towards a field stopping, listening, and calling along the way. If it's after 9:00, just go to the field's edge and glass.

Sometimes they're easy but mostly, they're not. :hmm:

Big Woods. Open fields are usually close to someone who maintains them and everyone for miles around will be aware of turkey activity there well before the season. Fields are usually posted or at least crowded with pop-up blind hunters and will draw in hunters looking for birds all day long. No one ever seems to be too concerned with crowding or disturbing someone else who was there first, so I always look to get away from the crowds. I also noticed over the years that almost all of the hen yelping I hear in the spring season is being produced by other hunters and not the hens, while at the same time all of the gobbling done before daylight is coming from live toms. I go remote and I go early. I know the area before I hunt it and I can usually guess pretty accurately where the bird is located when listening for pre-dawn gobbling. I will pick a bird and try to close in the dark to within 100 yards or so and see how things develop in the daylight. Yes, I do stalk gobblers. They seem to like to strut in whatever passes for open ground in the big woods. If I hear any hen yelping I usually presume it is a hunter. I will move away from it if it is loud, moving, or persistent. Very soft yelps a long way from a road may convince me to hold my ground and see what shows up but I will not stalk any hen sounds. I usually don't take a call with me as I rarely do any calling.

Back