• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

field dressing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nealglen37

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Have any of you used one of these..........does it help?
[url] http://www.deer-e-ere.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/test3.mpg[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Frankly, I consider it just another gadget to have to drag along, or forget back at home. I use a pocket knife to field dress deer, with a Ft. Meigs Style 4 oz axe to cut through the sternum, and the hip girdle. With the hip girdle cut, its no problem to cut the lower bowel from the tissue, and then remove the entire intestine and bowel with the rest of the discarded organs. I use the short bladed pocket knife to cut the esophogus off at the top of the ribcate above the lungs, and then pull the lungs down and out along with the guts. I save the liver, heart, and tongue. I am not fond of kidneys, and I don't know a good recipie for Tripe, so I don't save the kidneys or stomach. I also don't care to use the intestines to make cordage, or the spleen to be a water proof bag. I am told that some people eat the lungs, but I have never seen a recipe.

This is a tool for catching and pulling the intestines out of the anus so that a section of the bowel can be caught off, and the rest removed by pulling back inside and dumping it out at the end of the field dressing, or gutting process. Most of the deer I have cleaned have feces close to the entrance of the anus, so I don't see how this saves you from the stink or the mess, frankly. I use a very sharp knife to cut the skin all around the anus, and then pull the intestines and bowel back into the torso before dumping it out. I think I keep the mess to a minimum that way.

:barf: :barf: thats disgusting. I think it would make more of a mess than doing it the way it has always been done. We'll let the texas hunters deal with those things. They'll buy anything :wink:

an old hunters trick I've done with a laurel branch whittled down, I've got one laying around somewhere. he will sell a bunch of 'em I suppose.

:shocked2: i just watched that movie. After seeing that, i'll stick to my way of gutting lol. Although i will be sure to copy and send that movie to my 3 nancy anti hunting step brothers. :rotf:

Just more junk. :bull:
If you're gonna process a deer in the first couple of hours after you shoot it you don't even need to field dress it.

Yeah well I ain't rising to the bait ... you young Penciltucky whippersnapper! :rotf: I was guttin N cleanin deer with my kabar pocketknife 10 years afore you were borned! :blah:

You do not need gimmicks to clean an animal ... just good sense! :thumbsup:

Davy

Davy said:
Yeah well I ain't rising to the bait ... you young Penciltucky whippersnapper! :rotf: I was guttin N cleanin deer with my kabar pocketknife 10 years afore you were borned! :blah:

You do not need gimmicks to clean an animal ... just good sense! :thumbsup:

Davy
:thumbsup:
Penciltucky Whippersnapper... :rotf:

A few years ago I took some sausage meat to a butcher shop and they were in the process of cutting up a "floor full" of deer carcasses and the the stench was overwhelming.....urine, rotting meat and intestinal remnants. Judging from this incident, a lot of "deer shooters" don't know the first thing asre field dressing, transporting carcasses, temperature control and the urgency of processing. Needless to say, that butcher shop never was allowed to make sausage for me.......Fred

A pocket knife or a finknife must work for fieldressing.Not so much "Schnickschnack" :thumbsup:

Regards

Kirrmeister

Good gracious no...looks like a modern high tech solution in search of a problem...and a disgusting one at that.

But I agree with one post...they'll sell a ton of them...my bet is mostly to the modern crowd who wants everything quick and simple with no burden or expectation of having to learn anything about hunting, its traditions, ways and means...and can't run the risk of getting blood on their scent-lock suits, gps units, laser range finders, infrared game locators, etc, etc.

The simplicity of a Flintlock/PRB, folding pocket knife, compass, and a flashlight is just outstanding
:thumbsup:

Besides...what would you call something like that?
"...an injection molded, polystyrene, T-handled, 4 bladed, anus removal system..." ???

My bro in law is one of those guys that doesnt cut the throat out of the deer, just leaves the wind pipe and all in the deer for a couple hours and then takes it to the butcher. Ive told him a million times that the windpipe is the first thing that rots the fastest but hes a democrat and knows better than anyone else. It kills me to see him take it to a butcher. We've always done out own butchering and make jerky,sausage ourself. Its better to do it all yourself, this way you know what you are getting.

OK Buster,get your dukes up, everyone knows a non-folding knife is better! :wink:

Well guys, my wife is the one that does all the gut'n!! She claims I am too slow and it is not surgery. So, I am just the pack mule and she is the gutter. Then it is home to the shed where we skin it, clean it, wipe it down with salt and bag it for a couple of days before we butcher it.

Yep and she is a good shot too!!! Tells everybody, that we won't get a divorce, but we will just shoot each other. :shocked2: Hoping this year we can get our first Elk. Just got me Hawken .50cal she shoots inline, but don't know if she can shoot it anymore because of her neck.

Well I would not get her mad anytime soon! Looks ta me like she would do a number on ya ina hurry, fast, and quick too! :shocked2: :surrender: :bow:

Davy

Maybe you should stay home, & let her go! :hmm: :surrender: :shocked2: :grin:

Davy

Back