• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

film your hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
although there are existing hunts filmed with traditional / pc weapons, they are either not avaialbe or hard to find, and i think that filming a new hunt with traditional or pc weapons would be a great tool in trying to recruit new shooters and spread the joy of our lifestyle/ hobby/ interest/ obsession. i'll make the same suggestion to csmla members (colorado state ml ass.) in out next gathering, along with the initiative for a special late traditional group hunt application to cdow.
?

I'm planning on filming at least one of my hunts. It probably won't be spectacular, as we haven't got any trophy bucks on my place, but I'm sure I can put down a doe for the camera.

Laufer, are you talking video or still pictorial. Good luck on the late trad hunt. CDOW is so swamped with special requests they are not all that amenable to special hunts for anyone. Wish it were otherwise, but if you look at the hunt schedules, from the last week end in August to the end of November there is very little slack time in hunts.

OTOH, they seem highly motivated to reduce the eastern whitetail population, maybe they would give us a trad only hunt in the riverbottoms?

Have you talked to the csmla wildlife rep on this?

I've been trying to do this for a couple years now. It's not exactly an easy thing to do. Not solo anyways. An extra pack to haul in and out and finding the right spot to setup the camara. Do this once or twice a day for a few weeks and it gets old fast lol. Specially when the animals do not cooperate. I seem to get my shots the days I forget the pack or just don't want to deal with the camera. But I'll continue to keep tryin and when it happens it'll be extra sweet. :thumbsup:

It is hard to do such a film unless you hunt an exceptional area. Most of the commercial films and videos we see are in areas with a multitude of game and on private hunting clubs and ranches. It would be very hard to do in a place like Massachusetts. I am not sure if I could manipulate the camera as well as take a clean killing shot in some manner. I suppose that I could have a digital camera mounted on the side of me in a treestand and that is about as good as it would get.

Boy if that ain't the truth. These guys who kill these monster whitetails on camera don't impress me one bit. Anybody could do that when you pay big bucks to hunt private ground that's trophy managed.

video.
i'll make a suggestion and i'll see how far it goes. talking to dow people it is not impossible, probably 2-3 years from now, if we put enough pressure on them.
whitetails idea may be a good combination of their needs and our wishes, i'll talk to the guys about that too. a litle rondy along the south platte, like in the good old days with filmed group hunt.

agreed.
i was more thinking about public land hunts, several hunters and one paid cameraman for a day or two. just an idea.

Seems like a good idea. Gotta convince the Commission though. They do listen to the DOW but sometimes politics and personalities trumps common sense and the desires of the public and the DOW.

It would be great to see a true trad only season. How about this option if a separate season effort fails; try to get some specific units designated trad only during the existing season? Course their would be a war with the in-line manufacturers but I think the Commission pays less and less attention to them.

i'll suggest doe/ cow hunts only in the late ml traditionsl seasons, givce them several units to pick 2 or 3 where they need help with deos/ cows and go from there.

Hello from Germany!

i#ll try to do the same when hunting at roe deer. the other game like red deer is to sticky.

Regards

Kirrmeister

I get all of the outdoor channels on cable 24hrs a day, seven days a week and never see any true traditional hunting on any of the programs. I'm getting really weary of watching someone sitting in a tree with a space age compound sending carbon arrows through a trophy buck! How many of you would love to see 30 minutes of Hershel working in his shop? A visit to Jim Chamber's shop, the CLA show? There are thousands of talented craftsmen in this sport that would make extremely interesting, and educational viewing. Demonstrations of woodcraft skills, how to programs, and real traditional hunts. It would not only be education and entertaining, it would introduce many more people to this wonderful sport giving us a more powerful voice with state agencies. It might even entice some to put away their polymer stocked,scoped inline for a real flintlock. I wished I had the experience to give it a try. I think it would be a great opportunity to make a living doing something you love to do!

These guys killing trophy bucks on TV don't impress me one bit. What you don't see in the show is the feeders and the fences. :bull:

I also have watched many of the hunting shows, these are all driven by the sponsers. On a 30 minute show there is only 10 minutes of hunting shown. The rest is just a glorified infomertial by the advertisers, even Thompson Center only pushes there inlines on these shows. Without sponsers no hunt will ever get shown on tv. If there was enough sponsers who sell traditional guns and equipment then you would get some air time.

sad. on sunday evenings ther is a 30 min show by the best of tc shooting, starts with greg ritz loading a flintlock and shooting it at the range. te, jim shockey starts his bs on him being a romantic, on his ml is as close to the tradition as there is, on his connection to the ancestors through his ugly stick. sharade goes on and on, the best tc hunters share their 'traditional ml' experiences. bljaaaakk!!!!! not a single hunt with one of tc sidelocks, not a single one, but their inlines are all listed and shown. :cursing:

Back