• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally, Hunting elk tomorrow.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldhunter

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been waiting about 5 months for this day. My cow elk hunt started last saturday, but due to work I couldn't go out. So my 'Ol Man and I are heading down tonight to link up with my hunting partners. We have 9 tags in our group to fill (one of which was filled last saturday evening!)

We got some snow a couple days ago and the reports are the elk are herding up a little, which is good! One of my buddys spent a couple days scouting and found a little pocket where a good small herd is hanging out.

So, in the morning I will load my .54 rock lock for it's maiden hunting trip. Should be fun! I'll try to remember to take pictures. :shake:

I'm bound and determined to connect with the .54. I'm hunting with a couple of friends that are pretty skeptical about my choice of rifle. :grin: I've got a decent load worked up, 80gr FFFg .530 ball .018 patch, that is getting about 2.5" groups at 75 yds; not great compared to my GPR, but it's coming along. Last weekend I went out and shot pumpkins at 100 yds with it. It should be ALOT of Fun!

good luck!! i used 80gr pyrodex rs and a .530 round ball for my elk and man oh man, she only went 60 yards!

I see no problem with a .54 taking an elk! I would up that charge some tho.

Of course that may not be necessary!

I guess I should read more! Your loading fff, then you should be on!

Well, the snow cut the weekend short. Only got two days in. Massive storm moved in today. Closest shot would have been 300 yds. So no luck so far. The Elk are staying high and out of the foothills. Hopefully this storm will gt them lower. High country + snow is not a good combination.

Back