• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finished my "Brookson"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm very pleased on how my version of a "Brookson" came out. :grin: I think it's a good representation of a restocked, reused parts gun from New England pressed into service for Militia use. Cherry stocked, 41" .20ga smoothbore that Mike Brooks built in the white for me. I heavily browned the lock and barrel to show age. The barrel came out looking pretty much the same as an original smoothbore military barrel I have. I wanted the lock and barrel to show age and use but I just couldn't bring myself to mess with the stock, for the most part it will age with honest use. I did however have a couple small mishaps that put minor dents in the wood and chose to leave them. Just adds to the character.

I'm keepin my fingers crossed for a test fire next week. :thumbsup:

DSCF3618.JPG

DSCF3620.JPG

DSCF3621.JPG

DSCF3622.JPG

DSCF3624.JPG

DSCF3626.JPG

DSCF3627.JPG

DSCF3614.JPG

DSCF3615.JPG

That turned out nice! :thumbsup: Let me know how it shoots, I'm interested how quickthe ignition will be with that inside coned vent.

I like it Swampy an yes let us know how the cone does cause if yours does good Im gonna inside cone my 40 rice barrel. Great work :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

That is a BEAUT!!! Ya just gotta love them cherry stocks! As was said before, let us know how it shoots. :hatsoff:

Nice!!

the inside coned vent is just as fast as anything else.. :v

Very nice looking
Could you do some more close ups of the barrel oct/ to round taper and the measurments of where the rings are? My Barrel maker needs me to give him some direction.And it looks like yours fades into round
What time frame will that lock fit into?
Deutsch

Actually I just realized I'm not done! I had Lynn aka Short Arm make me a nice red woven sling, I'll spend tomorrow figurin how to attach to it. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

I watched a feller do the dreaded barrel bending a month or so back. Looked easy with him doing it. :idunno:

It would probly look lots scarier if it woulda been mine tho. :haha:

BigDeutscher said:
Very nice looking
Could you do some more close ups of the barrel oct/ to round taper and the measurments of where the rings are? My Barrel maker needs me to give him some direction.And it looks like yours fades into round
What time frame will that lock fit into?
Deutsch

I'll try to tomorrow. I'm not the one to date that lock precisely but this whole project (gun, bag, horn, knife) revolved around North Kings Towne in 1790. The Kings Towne Rangers were a militia unit here I guess you can say I'm paying tribute to. So the lock had to predate 1790 to around 40 years to show age/wear but still usable. But I don't know exactly when this lock first appeared.

I'm sure theres guys on the forum that can date the lock or you can contact Davis and ask them for dates. http://www.redaviscompany.com/1121.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Really lovely looking gun, Swampy. I would be proud as a new Dad if I could turn out something like t :hatsoff: hat.

Back