• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finishing Brass

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickman15

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My Butt end needs to be refinished, I have used emery paper, but how do you get a smooth finish, I do not necessarily want it to be a bright finish; I am going more for an antique, brushed finish. How to you get the scratches out? Thanks, I hope to have pics in a couple weeks with my finished rifle!

To get scratches out, use progressively finer wet/dry paper and finish with a very fine Crocus cloth. For a smooth finish, I buff the brass parts with polishing rouge on a cotton wheel.

YOu remove scratches left by your abrasive by going to a finer abrasive, and progressing down until you have the "LOOK" you want. If you put oil on the finest emery cloth, you can usually polish out scratches left by the dry emery cloth.

There are fine polishing compounds that you can buy at paint stores, like Pumice, and Rottenstone. These are often used to smooth finishes on furniture, where streaks are being polished out of varnished finishes. Used with a rag dipped in oil these will polish out your scratches. The various abrasives and rouges come in different size from course to fine, so get some help from the store personnel the firs time you are buying these product to find out what the grades of the product mean, compared to the emery cloth you are using.

Some brush finishes are made used a wire brush on a powered shaft. These can be quite harsh on brass, so I don't use them, but I have seen them used. There are also brass brushes sold to fit grinding arbors, for this kind of work. Check Woodcraft to see what they have.

A small tip that helps too, is when you switch to a finer sandpaper, sand across the marks made by the previous grit. This gets them out quicker and more evenly.

I use the soft Gesswein stones w/ mineral spirits to remove file marks, etc very quickly. Then 320 grit wet paper followed by the green "Scotchbrite". A light rubbing w/ 0000 stl wool and on goes the 44/40 cold gun blue which is rubbed for a slightly aged appearance.....Fred

Back