• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

fire lapping muzzleloaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tg

Cannon
Reaction score
I have laped a few barrel with steel wool on a wire brush but usually just shoot 'em while braking in a barrel. One thing to look for is whether the "tight" spot is in line with any screw threads that have been tapped into the barrel now and then someone goes a bit deep and bulges the inside of the barrel I have seen this on two production guns.

O.k. This is my problem.... I have firelapped a few c.f. barrels with good results. The instructions with my Neco firelapping kit say that muzzleloaders are prime canadates for firelapping, but all they say is use a flat base bullet and a wad. Do you clean between shots ?
Will a modified mini ball with an extra thick skirt qualify as a flat base?
I have two t/c rifles with tight spots in the barrel and would like to lap them out. Has any one done this? Would anyone help me out?

Another place to look for tight spots is under dovetails if they are machine cut, Got in a SHILOH SHARPS for a customer a few years back that would leave lead right under the rear sight base dove tail every shot. Shiloh replaced the barrel, but of course said nothing was wrong the original. The new one did not leave lead though.

quote:Got in a SHILOH SHARPS for a customer a few years back that would leave lead right under the rear sight base dove tail every shot. At the price Shiloh asks you would expect it to be good right out of the box. Glad they replaced it.

As far as Fire Lapping I haven't tried it but as the instructions say, it would likely take a slug. I think the small bearing area a patched round ball would be too short to do much good. If this is true, IMO finding a slug made of pure lead (so it can expand during firing (obtourate)), and a few thousands undersize so you could load it would be a problem with most calibers although you could try it with some of the cast slugs available.
I think the old fashoned way is the best bet.

Latest posts

Back