• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FIRE!.lets make some

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Yanta

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have an interest in making steel and flint fire.

I have read some instructions saying you strike the flint to the steel to make sparks. To me this makes since because thats the way my flintlock works. Others say you strike the steel to flint.

I have a peice of O-1 tool steel that was hardened. I took a 3/4 inch flintlock flint and struck the steel with it. I was able to create sparks. My best shower of sparks came from laying the sharp edge of the flint against the steel and then in a shaving motion strike down along the edge of the steel. Striking the flint with the steel just knapped flint without perceptable sparks. I am probably doing something wrong here.

What is the best method for spark shower?

Having a forge and plenty of high carbon steel available I would like to make my own steel. Could anyone tell me about how hard the steel should be so I could heat treat accordingly? I could do this by trial and error method but looking for available knowledge from the experts.

What is the best size of flint? I would think an egg size flint would be about right. Anyone know a good source for flints?

I would like to hear your fire making techniques and "whuz in yor tender box"?

Your comments are appreciated.

Joe

I have read some instructions saying you strike the flint to the steel to make sparks. To me this makes since because thats the way my flintlock works.

I agree. When your flint hits the frizzen, in a downward motion, it throws hot metal down, into the pan. You want this same action when starting a fire.

My theory is, if you hold the flint and strike down with your steel, much of the hot metal will remain above the flint and not be thrown downward into the char.
:m2c:

Around this area the only flint fire starters I have watched seem to like to place the char cloth on top of the flint and strike the flint in a downward motion with the steel. This creates sparks on top of the flint and on the char cloth lighting the cloth. It keep everything handy and in your hand. You can then move the lighted char to your toe, birdsnest or what ever you use and blow it into fire.
I have a hard time with the char below the flint. Also I don't like sharp flint moving near my fingers.
This is how we do it? Where do you hold you char cloth or are you puting it on the ground and trying to make sparks fall into it.
Good luck Fox

Around this area the only flint fire starters I have watched seem to like to place the char cloth on top of the flint and strike the flint in a downward motion with the steel. This creates sparks on top of the flint and on the char cloth lighting the cloth

This is hard for me to follow Silver Fox. The way I see your description is you would have the steel in your left hand, and between your thumb and forefinger would be the flint and char. IOW next to your thumb would be the char, which would be on top of the flint which would be next to your forefinger. Then you would strike the steel causing spark which would be caught on the char.

Forgive my ignorance, I have never seen this done before only read about it.

I have started many fires with a ferrite metal match style and magnesium bar fire starters, but never with flint and steel.

Perhaps I am pretrained with fire starting method with the ferrite fire starters. Here you have your tinder in a pile, your put a few magnesium shavings on top the tinder, and with a metal scraper you slice over and down the ferrite striker directing the sparks towards the mag shavings which ignite with intense head catching the tinder on fire. Instant fire actually. I would assume it is a like proceedure with flint and steel. You have your tinder with a char cloth to catch sparks on top of your tinder basically replacing the magnesium as described earlier. You catch a spark on the char, you gently blow the spark into the char and down into your tinder.

Am I on the right path here?

Joe

... or are you puting it on the ground and trying to make sparks fall into it.

Yep. The char and tinder are on the ground, where the fire's going to be. I pout the steel right on top of the char and strike sparks into it. When it glows, I cup my hands around it and blow. Poof, fire!

I can also hold the char in my hand, over the flint as you do, but prefer not to do it that way. Whatever works well for you is the preferred method. :thumbsup:

I've seen it done both ways. I always had better luck putting the char down and striking the steel with the rock.

Make sure the rock has a sharp edge and strike mostly downward. The idea is to scrape shavings off the steel.

Flaming canvas got it the way I've seen and done myself Just got mine outa my ted cash tinder box with the magnifying glass on the top for when the sun shines and I can let the sun do it. Had to try it as I couldn't picture it in my mind- no film in the camera sometimes. You also need char and tinder best tinder I've found is dry cedar bark. and you make char cloth by cooking cotton cloth in a sealed container ( sucrets box or one of those mint boxes(you're making charcoal out of cloth. As for the hardness of the steel, I have no Idea other than you need a high carbon content. Try one of your Knifes that's not so pretty if there is such a thing- you do beutiful work.

Joe my mentor strikes the steel with the flint. I strike the flint with the steel. It'll work both ways just try it till ya figure which suits you best.

I hold a small piece of flat sharp flint in my left hand. My thumb holds a piece of char cloth on top of the flint folded over 2 or 3 times it give a flap like edge to catch sparks.

Then I strike downward on the flint with the steel the edge of the flint tilted upward about 45 degree angle. It just works better this way for me. Anyway ya do it the flint shaves metal off with friction which is your sparks. I make a birdsnest of tow, jute, birch bark strips, or dry grass. As soon as the char catches I place it in the middle of my nest and blow into it until it bursts into flame.

I then place that into the teepee of little sticks I've already arranged. I also light a little stub of a candle I carry in my kit. This helps in case my flames go out before I get my tender lit. The wax also will help your tinder catch. I have a chunk of pine pitch gum in my kit also it burns fast and hot.

I also carry a magnifing glass no use to waste good flint and steel if the sun is out! There are many links in another thead about flint & steel in the archives.

YMH&OS,
Chuck

Around this area the only flint fire starters I have watched seem to like to place the char cloth on top of the flint and strike the flint in a downward motion with the steel. This creates sparks on top of the flint and on the char cloth lighting the cloth. It keep everything handy and in your hand. You can then move the lighted char to your toe, birdsnest or what ever you use and blow it into fire.
I have a hard time with the char below the flint. Also I don't like sharp flint moving near my fingers.
This is how we do it? Where do you hold you char cloth or are you puting it on the ground and trying to make sparks fall into it.
Good luck Fox

Silverfox,.... The char on top the flint, is the method I use, and I can usualy git a flame in 7 seconds (timed events), or, on rare occasions even faster.

I can light my pipe in 4 seconds!! ::

YMHS
rollingb

[Yep. The char and tinder are on the ground, where the fire's going to be. I pout the steel right on top of the char and strike sparks into it. When it glows, I cup my hands around it and blow. Poof, fire!

I can also hold the char in my hand, over the flint as you do, but prefer not to do it that way. Whatever works well for you is the preferred method. :thumbsup:

I also find that holding the char under the flint causes tearing when I strike, so i chip over the top of my char, already in the bird's nest, on the ground.

another good way to do it...and read to the end before you try this...is to use your flintlock. DO NOT DO THIS WITH A LOADED GUN, NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE ELSE TELLS YOU! Don't be fooled into thinking that a stick, toohpick or feather will prevent Murphy's Law from taking over and shooting your tent, one of your compatriots, or some thing else.

Anyway, with an empty gun, place a piece of charcloth in the pan, close the frizzen, and pull the trigger. Works every time.

HBC Burning Glasses are awesome, too. I never use flint on sunny days. Unfortunately for me, I never seem to set camp on sunny days!!!!

:results:

Next best thing would be a disposable lighter. Next in line would be 0000 steel wool and a 9 volt battery, not to be carried together for obvious reasons. uncrichie...

Hunting fool: you covered this fire starting as good as I've seen lately. Rollinb in case I missed it yes the char on top of the flint in my case the flint and char in the left hand between the thumb and index finger. Steel in the right hand and strike downward with a glancing blow. Should have a fire in less than 10 seconds. No not fire just glowing char in hand then put char in tow or whatever and fire in 10 seconds or less should be normal. I don't put my char on the ground because I don't like hitting the ground with my hand and moving my tow or kindling just the way I like to do it. As Claude said what ever is comfortable to you is the right way for you.
Fox

Silverfox,.... Yep!!.. I hold everthin the same as you. 1 or 2 strikes with the steel and the char catchs a spark. It takes more time to place my char into the bird's nest and blow into flame, but total time from first strike to flame is normaly 7 seconds.

When I light my pipe, I jest catch a spark on my char, then place the char in my pipe and start "puffin"!! ::

YMHS
rollingb

Howdy,
The ideas presented all will work depending on who is using them. What works for some will not work for others.
I fold the char cloth over the flint edge I will be striking. I then strike the flint thru the char cloth and this gives the char cloth every chance to catch a spark. The char cloth only smolders and can be put into the birds nest for the fire starting. Usually, this can be done fairly quickly. I am not saying this is the only way but it has worked well for me both in competition and in camp.

Where does this "new" Fire Piston" that I saw advertised in the recent Buckskinner mag fit into this PC thing?

http://www.firepistons.com/index.html

Lee

If your persona is a Portugese Sailor visiting Polynesia or a Moro warrior you could toss one in your pack and say it was PC. :: I don't believe they ever saw use on this continent or in Europe as a means of starting a fire.

Pretty slick trick developed in places lacking flint and steel, though. Our Natives used the fire-trough and fire-bow in such instances.

Thanks Stumpkiller....that's what I figured. Just seemed like an odd and out of place accouterment to find in the magazine. Interesting item but odd to find it there.

Lee

If your persona is a Portugese Sailor visiting Polynesia or a Moro warrior you could toss one in your pack and say it was PC. :: I don't believe they ever saw use on this continent or in Europe as a means of starting a fire.

Pretty slick trick developed in places lacking flint and steel, though. Our Natives used the fire-trough and fire-bow in such instances.

They're a late arrival to our shores (later 1800's) used in the old Northwest, but, yeah, it's mainly a foreign thing. It was one of those things that were just COOL. No, you won't get it past a jury anywwhere, but it's one of those things that might be handy in the haversack on a less than historical trek.

But since you mention it, Jeff Wagner at Wilderness Solutions told me recently that he is making bow-drill kits that are packable, so, definitely PC for this neck of the woods. I recommend that anyone who hasn't ever attempted a fire with a bow drill should at least once...

there is no greater sense of accomplishment that starting a fire with a bow drill....trust me.... :shake:

Back