• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First blackpowder hog

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugerDog

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I took my new (to me) T/C .45 cal Hawken hunting for wild hogs yesterday. Started out at 6am; finally got a nice sow at 5pm.

Al-and-Hog-for-web.jpg

Recipe: .45 cal T/C Maxi Balls (240 grn) over 60 gr of Triple 7, with a Remington cap.

Took me a while, but I worked my way to within 25 yards, using trees for cover. Finally had a chance at a shot between a couple of trees. Good swift kill - hog dropped right where she was hit, twitched a few times and that was all she wrote. Shot was placed in the neck, just behind the ear. She's now at the butcher.

This was my first time hunting in over 40 years, made special by taking my son with me - his first hunting trip. He was a bit quicker than me, getting a barr hog by 7am. But then, he was using a bolt action .270, hunting bullets with fancy tips, and an 8x scope. Told him he was cheating...

Had a great time! This black powder stuff sure is addicting.

High Five and congrat's! I seriously need to think about a wild hog hunt someday, It looks like it would be a blast.

Way to go for you and your son! :thumbsup: Yours only went STRAIGHT down because you were using one of those "old timey" guns!

Jethro224 said:
Grats! :thumbsup:

Nice pic. Now, get that boy a frontstuffer. :wink:

Funny you should suggest that. Over the years, I've learned not to suggest things; just let him find the way. About an hour ago, he sent me a couple of links to frontstuffers for sale to ask my opinion... he'll find the way.

Wonderful story and photo! Thanks for the info on caliber, charge and bullet.

Hello from Germany!

Waidmanns Heil to that real nice boar! :thumbsup: Good story and a real well done stalking.

You showed us that a .45 with conical can bring down real bigger game than gamesized.

Regards :hatsoff:

Kirrmeister

Back