• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Blood for Miss Woodsy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boar

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Well got my first groundhog today with the .40(auction Gun)Made by Mike Woodbury. I been after them all week. Saw this one three times. Shot at him early in the morn and miss him. Went back later and nailed him. Already cooked him. Nice fat young one. Only shot this flint gun 3 times, I used 40grs 3ff,pumped right tru him, about 35yrds in edge of bean field. Really liking this Flinter. :thumbsup: Dilly

This one is no 16. The field is next to my property,I have 3 acres,this bean field is about 8. The owner has over 100 but doesn't allow any hunting except the groundhogs, he lets my buddy and I trap the creek for rats and such. Makes it handy to shoot the muzzleloaders. And I have ate them all except two,were not healthy. The most I got in a season was 32,he had two bean fields. :thumbsup: Dilly

I used to LOVE groundhog hunting when I was younger. I would really get excited about it again with a flinter. :hmm:

Did you cook him up? I tried groundhog a few times. I did an older one on the BBQ that was tough but tastey, whereas the young ones make very nice table fare. We did one in a chowder with bacon and potato and it got gobbled up pretty quick! :wink:

very nice ! I can see you are definetly liking that 40 !It is one heck of a nice gun ! keep it up :thumbsup:

I took and cooked him up the same day. I usually like to soak in salt water over nite. I bring him to a boil with a onion or spiceberry or both, I skim of the froth,boil for 20 mins, rinse off, put in pressure cooker for 20 mins. then they are ready to fry or eat,better if fried. You have to remove the glands under front legs, and there are two fat pockets in back legs that have glands in them. I remove all the fat. And cut and quarter. I take Shears and cut the ribs from backbone too. Good eating they are :thumbsup: Dilly

Back