• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First blood with poor boy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GANGGREEN

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I just got a poor boy from Gobbler Knob Custom Longrifles. I've shot it a few dozen times in the backyard but finally took it hunting yesterday for fall birds. Scored from 54 yards out with a .530 patched round ball, drove the ball through the hip joints thereby protecting the breast meat. I couldn't be happier about the rifle or the shot.

Hopefully the picture comes up, this is my first attempt on the forum. By the way, I hadn't named the gun prior to my hunt but I've decided to call it "Jenny" since that was the first game taken with it. Any opinions?

flintturkey003.jpg

I think Jenny is a fine name! As far as the turkey goes, even a blind hog finds a nut every now and then! :wink:

Glad you like the rifle, GangGreen. By the way, isn't that one of those fine box calls from Gobbler Knob?

:rotf:

Here are a couple more photos of that rifle. Hope you don't mind, GangGreen. The heart of this gun is a 42" Rice barrel with round-bottom rifling and an L&R lock with Davis double set triggers.

I stained the stock black with an alcohol-based stain called, "Onyx." Once dry, I wooled it back then applied 1 coat of LMF cherry stain. I applied several coats of Johnson's paste wax to top it all off. The barrel lock and iron furniture were 'aged' using 44/40 gun blue then taken back to the patina you see here.

I mean to tell you, this gun is a shooter! Rick

IMG_7816002.jpg

IMG_7819005.jpg

Hello from Germany,

Waidmanns Heil to the Turkey. That is really a fine rifle.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Nice rifle and congrats on the bird as well! Gonna have to remember the "hips" part come spring :hatsoff:

I've been told that true poorboy rifles came from the hills of Tenn. and were very plain fullstock rifles built without buttplates, nosecaps or entry thimbles, every thing was wood or iron because of lack of funds or ability to obtain other parts. There were some famous southern builders such as the Bean family and these guns were a little fancier with cresent buttplates and entry thimbles and nose caps sometimes poured out of peweter, but they were still iron mounted
Regards Longball 58

Swampy,that's a poorboy before the election, after all we have left is "CHANGE" we will never be able to buy another rifle as nice as this one. :shake: By the way GG great hunt & a very nice rifle :thumbsup:

That is one fine looking gun! The turkey is nice as well. I think you picked a great name. Hope she is true to you from now on! :wink:

Good shooting. I have friend who has a Gobbler Knob .45 flint lock rifle, Rick does a very good job.

Shoot safely you don't want to fly in an EMS helicoter

Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing your hunt and new rifle with us. Happy Hunting.
Idaho PRB

Back