• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Blood

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goofball

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am new to this forum, and never shot a muzzleloading rifle before. On Saturday I had a rather amusing introduction to the sport. I bought a CVA Bobcat; which all the postings say is a pretty fair rifle for the price. Mine is in .54.
The seller and the manual told me to start at a light load and work up. I had less than an hour, so I was eager to see what she could do. I wanted some BOOM, baby.
I loaded her up with a T/C Maxi-hunter 435 grain bullet over a wonder wad and 90 grains of powder.
You all know that the Bobcat has a hollow plastic stock and weights as much as your average BB gun.
I got my BOOM alright.
I was wearing a white T-shirt. I shot about seven rounds or so. Driving home I noticed a stain on my T-shirt. No, it can't be...it was blood. This moring my sholder is a colorful garden of purple, red and blue. :crackup:

Welcome!

And, I'm glad it was your shoulder and not mine! :)

Now, that hefty load might be just fine for large/big game? How was your accuracy?

I swear by these (PAST Model 330-110, Super Mag+ Shield) and always wear one for hunting load development or heavy charge range shooting. They really work and are worth every penny. (about $25)

From their website:

http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/pastshooting/products.html

Product # 330-110

Super Mag Plus Shield

I am new to this forum, and never shot a muzzleloading rifle before. On Saturday I had a rather amusing introduction to the sport.

I wanted some BOOM, baby.
I loaded her up with a T/C Maxi-hunter 435 grain bullet over a wonder wad and 90 grains of powder.

I got my BOOM alright.

No, it can't be...it was blood. This moring my sholder is a colorful garden of purple, red and blue. :crackup:

Did you come up with your screen name before OR after you shot that load seven times? :crackup::crackup::crackup:

All kidding aside...

So... how do you like muzzleloading now...? That is a REALLY "healthy load" for such a light weight gun. I hope this experience serves more as a "teacher" than a detriment to your pursuit of muzzleloading.

That Bobcat is a VERY light weight rifle. I had a CVA Mountain Stalker in .54 caliber which was Bass Pro Shoppe's entry level gun (virtually identical to a Bobcat). It thumped me pretty hard before I did some weight addition, kept my loads to more moderate levels, wore a recoil shield, and added a slip-on recoil pad.

BTW, A patched round ball pushed by 50gr of powder would only produce about ONE FOURTH of the recoil that you got pounded with using your load.

Those Bobcats and similar lightweight guns can have weight added to them by various methods. In your particular instance though, that load (is still VERY potent!) will still produce a considerable amount of backward thrust.

You want to make sure that when you add weight, you keep it distributed fairly evenly, so that the balance of the gun isn't too out of kilter.

I also would not make a habit out of shooting that heavy a load. It may well turn out to be a good hunting load (or it might not shoot very accurately).

Typically you'll want a light target/practice load using patched round ball with a light to moderate charge weight (35-50gr).

And IF you desire, a heavy hunting load with patched round ball and a moderately heavy charge weight (70gr or more).

THEN comes the bone-crusher!--that would be a heavy conical (or saboted pistol bullet) with a heavy to maximum charge weight (80gr to 90gr or MAX). "Loaded for bear" is the term sometimes used.

A "slip-on" recoil pad would take a good bit of the sting out of those heavy loads, as also would a PAST recoil shield that was mentioned. Having both would not be too drastic for recoil reduction.

I hope you are letting that shoulder "heal" before hammering on it some more. It could cause some serious discomfort and more damage to that area.

Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly

Goofball is a rather appropriate moniker, no? :haha: And no, I am not soured on shooting this crazy plastic-stocked-cannon. Half the fun is figuring out how to make it shoot well. Thank you all for the advice on a shoulder-pad and the loads. I am relieved no one thought the load was a light one, and I was just being a cry baby. :cry:
I could not test for accuracy since I was so unfamiliar with the sights. It has a Buckhorn with a little "U" slot. I had the top of the front sight alined with the top of the little "U" and a six o'clock hold on the center of a target 50 yards away. She shot 21/2 FEET low, hitting the wood frame! After that I kept moving up, so I did not shoot for groups. All shots were well centered, just tremendously low.

Try 50 grains of fff Goex and a lee REAL. That is my regular load in my Plainsman, my first muzzleloader, a .50 that looks like manure (bouncing around in the truck), yet still true. It has taken more than its share of deer, "yotes', wild dogs, a bobcat, and a few other mixed critters eating out of the feed storage areas. I have even loaded small amounts of #6 shot over home-made cardboard buffers to take those cat sized corn fed rats. Your bobcat is the same as my Plainsman, except the stock. It was the rifle that started my black powder addiction.

Goofball.. first off welcome to the sport. Second, I have a .54 caliber CVA Mountain Stalker which was Bass Pro's version of the Bobcat. That load your shooting is a very strong load. It is not surprising that the rifle beat you up. The rifle is only a hair over 5 pounds.

The load for my rifle is 80 grains of Goex FFFg a wonderwad and a patched roundball. It will drop deer where they stand. I shoot a .530 roundball and a .015-.018 patch with moosemilk as a lube.

As for the recoil, if you remove the back plastic butt plate you will note that that inside of the stock is hollow. I took a vaccum sealer bag machine and put a pound and half of #4 buckshot and sealed the bag. Then I sealed the bag again. I rolled the lead to form fit the stock. I push an old rag into the stock then added the lead and another rag and replaced the butt plate. The extra weight will really take the bite out of the recoil.

As for the site, you are going to have to take a lot of front sight off to get it shooting, but they are good shooting rifles. I bought a cheap set of fiber optic sights at Wal Mart made by Star Dot and put them on my rifle. It will sure make venison. I've proved that, and the caliber you picked is a great one.

Just tune back on the powder when shooting those big conicals.

Sounds like you need a lot more powder to get your POI up

Hank

:agree: Would doubling it suffice?

:youcrazy: Sakes alive, NO! Do NOT double the charge! I hope you realize that double remark was meant as sarcasm. :no:

:nono: The "DO NOT EXCEED" Maximum Charge for these .54 caliber guns is 120gr of FFg powder... and that figure applies whether you use patched round balls, conicals, or saboted pistol bullets.

Using a 435gr bullet and 120gr of FFg would let you experience roughly the same recoil that a .458 Winchester Magnum rifle would produce. :eek: Kind of impressive, isn't it? I wouldn't recommend you try that load or do it as a regular practice. :imo:

I am assuming you do have the little instruction booklet that came with the rifle...? If not, I would suggest you get the Lyman Blackpowder Handbook (1st edition would be fine) or a similar book that gives you some useful information and more detailed info on muzzleloaders.:hmm:

Do you live near any friends who also shoot/or hunt with muzzleloaders? That would be a good place to start.:hatsoff:

Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly :front:

Thanks WV HillBilly for your kind concern. I was just joking with Hank. I do have a manual, and I have been firearms enthusiast for many years and handload as well, so I know the dangers of exceeding the pressure limits. The manual has a section of load data, and gives the specs on a .54 CVA St Louis Hawken shooting a 425 conical and 100 grains of powder. I knew that the 90 grains I used was fairly hot...but I did not expect it to tear my tender, pink, city-slicker skin like it did. :redface:
This is a great forum, already you guys have saved me a lot of wasted lead, powder, ...and skin. :thanks:

I am new to this forum, and never shot a muzzleloading rifle before. On Saturday I had a rather amusing introduction to the sport. I bought a CVA Bobcat; which all the postings say is a pretty fair rifle for the price. Mine is in .54.
The seller and the manual told me to start at a light load and work up. I had less than an hour, so I was eager to see what she could do. I wanted some BOOM, baby.
You all know that the Bobcat has a hollow plastic stock and weights as much as your average BB gun.
I got my BOOM alright.
I was wearing a white T-shirt. I shot about seven rounds or so. Driving home I noticed a stain on my T-shirt. No, it can't be...it was blood. This moring my sholder is a colorful garden of purple, red and blue. :crackup:

I hope you learned somethin by that. I have not found a need for more than 55gr in a .50 Tennessee Poorboy, and 60gr in a .58 Zouave Mini. From targets to Wild Boar. Accuracy not volume counts. "Good luck!
:hatsoff:

My .54 gpr was beating my shoulder up pretty bad. I got one of those mitten shaped hot pads and put it under my T-shirt and it worked great.
Old Charlie

:crackup:

Goofball was wearing a T-Shirt. :youcrazy:

A hand full of bar knapkins will help if you are only wearing a T-Shirt.

Seriously, take a look at the PAST recoil pad. I can shoot all day without shoulder fatigue. I also wear it for Skeet and Trap shooting as well as shooting my .50 BMG.

Really saves your shoulder.

Tahquamenon

My friend uses one of them an swears by them. He said even the big calibers are comfortable to shoot with the PACT recoil pad. I personally have never used one but have looked at them...

Might be something to look at. :peace:

They really do work. Along with padding to absorb recoil the have a plate inside to dispurse shock over a larger area of the shoulder.

One of the best $20 I've spent. (I think they are up to 25+ dollars now).

Back