• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First BP Dove Shoot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patocazador

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Last Tuesday I tried my first actual dove shoot with my SxS CVA 12 ga. The season started on the 27th of Sept. but I was bowhunting and had to clean a deer that afternoon.
Meanwhile the doves were getting educated. Instead of a typical opening day "pick the easy shot" hunt, I had a tough time with the spooky birds and the lower velocity of black powder charges.

I didn't end up with many and reloading in the field was like a Chinese fire drill.

Lining up on 4 doves.

The shot.

Sending the dog.

The delivery.

All in all, it was a lot of fun but rather frustrating too. Maybe I'll do better next time out. :idunno:

The frustration was in shooting behind the birds due to the lowered velocity plus the fumbling around with the OP and OS cards. Lots of repetition is needed to get it down to a routine.
I may try again tomorrow.

I didn't find any heading in this forum to post a bowhunt .. only muzzleloaders. Here's the deer:

Entrance:

Exit:

Patocazador said:
The frustration was in shooting behind the birds due to the lowered velocity plus the fumbling around with the OP and OS cards. Lots of repetition is needed to get it down to a routine.
I may try again tomorrow.

I didn't find any heading in this forum to post a bowhunt .. only muzzleloaders. Here's the deer:

Entrance:

Exit:

Now you know why I just carry OS cards and a little pot of lube (if I need it).

Perfect arrow :hatsoff:

B.

Good shootin and a darn good dog :thumbsup:
We used to marinate our dove breast in coke and a little ketchup then grill. Pretty good :idunno:

Fumbling with all those wads and cards in the field seems like a pain in the a$$ , but after a while you get a system that works for you and it's no big deal.

Back