• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Deer Ever w/ Muzzleloader!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luieb45

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Sorry, no pics yet. But I'll tell you the story anyway.

I hunted since Friday with my muzzleloader when I technically could've used a shotgun. Had no luck Friday. I had barely seen deer. Saturday I only saw 2 deer at 150 yards and saw 2 more at 50 yards running just by the house. Then I hunted in my best spot this morning and saw nothing. Then came back and sat in a cedar ground blind over a 2 acre bean field that has been destroyed by deer this year. That's why it is still standing because it's not worth harvesting because there's only a bushel there. It is in pasture that is becoming overgrown by cedars and has no cattle anymore. So I was walking over there and jumped two across the creek at 60 yards moving through some hedge trees. Then there was one that was in the cedar trees but I never got a good look at him. So I sat down and at 4:00 I heard something working in the small area of trees to the northeast. Then a doe jumps out and runs through the cedars behind me. I thought it was odd because they weren't running from me and no one was walking around to spook them. Then a second one comes out. It stops on the edge of the cedars and saw my movement of me setting up the shot. Then it starts to feed for a second or two. I swung my knee over and rested the gun on it. Pulled the hammer back. Aimed behind the shoulder. And fired. Once the smoke cleared I saw nothing there. Then a few seconds later I hear a bleat that sounds like a dying deer. Then I see her lying dead in the brush. I couldn't have been any happier at this moment. I walked off the yardage and stepped off 50 yards. I looked at where the ball hit and it was just a little high and had hit through the shoulder, took down some lung, and hit a spine vertebrae. I killed this deer with my traditions kentucky caplock. I can't believe it knocked her down this quickly. It was a yealing doe but weighed about 70-80 lb. field dressed. This is my first deer with my muzzleloader that I bought in August but started muzzleloading in February.

.490 hornady ball
.010 ox yoke wonderlube patch
90 gr Pyrodex RS
CCI #11 Magnum Cap

Let Me be the first to say -Job well done!Congratulations-Nice shooting!Round ball and black powder work! Looking forward to the Pictures."This kid is a deer magnet"

So your learning to keep that gun clean and load it right. :thumbsup: Grats on your first muzzleloader deer. :thumbsup:

Nice story and good shooting! Congrats on your first muzzleloader deer. :hatsoff:

Way to stick with the muzzleloader! Grats :hatsoff:
I bet you still have a big grin on your face :v

PC0601692.jpg

You did good my friend, REAL GOOD!

You should be proud that you use traditional equipmnet. Your friends will probably use inlines and stuff like that, but you do it the right way!

Standing out from the crowd, thats the way to do it.

Great JOB!!!

Headhunter

Yeah my friends all hunt with inlines. Only one of my friends hunts with a traditional. He only hunts with it since it's his dad's and he wants to hunt the extra ml season. I told one of my friend's I hunt with a traditional muzzleloader and he said he did too. I asked what gun he had. He said thompson center encore. He didn't even know what a traditional ml was.

Latest posts

Back