• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Deer Hunt of the Year

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHickam

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, there is a 6 pt whitetail 3X3 - that is hanging out at the farm, figured I would try to fill one of my deer tags today.

Had two does come within range - they are legal to shoot but I didn't take the shot. If I haven't got the buck in a week or so - I'll shoot one of the 15 or so does that hang out on the farm from time to time.

It was overcast with a light dizzle coming down. I didn't weatherproof the flintlock but kept it up under my armpit and double cape of my riflemans frock. After about 2 hours I decided to walk over to the other side of the creek and had a squirrel at 25 yds or so in a tree - He was horizontal to the trunk of an oak tree on a dead limb with most of his head along the trunk. I cocked the gun, aimed at his head and touched it off - big boom echoed through the trees, squirrel dropped like a stone - I was reloading - when the &%#*#% squirrel, came back to life and ran back up the tree like the hounds of hell were after him. Dumbfounded, I walked over to the tree and found a nice big hole in the tree - but no blood.

Only thing I can figure is that the ball impact was a very near miss and the impact stunned him, and while I was reloading he shook it off and got the hell out of Dodge. :idunno:

People would "Bark" squirrels, shoot just under neath them and let bark smack them, knocking them out, hopefully. It's a way of not ruining meat. You pretty much did that, just wasn't fast enough collecting it. :haha:

I have barked a few some times they stay barked sometimes they don't. A thump against the tree is a good idea. Thanks for the laugh :) Larry

i've barked a few... the dog with me never takes any chances and gives 'em all a good shake :shocked2:

Latest posts

Back