• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First deer, with GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjgramann

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just started hunting in 2006 at age 53 (Dad didn't hunt, finally figured out I was old enough to do it myself if I wanted to). Skunked last year, but on the second day of Ohio gun season this year I was able to take a nice young nine-pointer with a .54 cal PRB over 90 grains of FF Goex. Shot him just behind the L shoulder blade from above as he walked down a slope in front of me. He ran up to my left and through a screen of branches, then circled through some brush and died 30 yards behind me.

The shot didn't go all the way through, so there was no blood trail. As a relative novice, I didn't have the standing to insist that we keep looking, though I didn't see how I could have missed at 40 yards. We found him on going back through the area two days later. The coyotes enjoyed the meat; I have the rack.

Should I increase my load to get a through-and through shot, or was it just the angle of the shot that kept it from going all the way through? That load is mighty accurate and comfortable to shoot, and I did learn a few things about what the deer look like over the sights, so I should be able to more carefully place the shot next time. Recommendations, please?

Oh -- and I'm hopelessly hooked on hunting with the flintlock. I'm going to start looking for a .32 for squirrels.

Bill

First off, congrats on the buck. Too bad you didn't recover him until it was too late.
The load you are using is plenty. It is strong enough for complete pass through on a double lung shot at more than 100 yards. I'd say shot angle had everything to do with your shot not passing through. Roundballs are not bone busters. They are better suited to shots to the boiler room. Better luck next time. Don't give up on looking for your deer unless you are absolutely sure you missed.

HD

What Huntin' Dawg said.

Your load is fine - I shoot 80 grains in my .54's most of the time.

If you shot the deer, you have all the standing you need. Good job on getting one in your second year, congratulations and keep after it.

By the way, .32 is great for squirrel but don't overlook the smoothbores. A more versatile and downright fun muzzleloader don't exist. :grin:

Good luck to you -
:hatsoff:
Spot

I use 100 gr of fff in my .54 GPR flinter.

I use that much to make use of the extended range offered by the peep sight and fiber optic front sight.

My normal load for a .54 is 85-90 gr fff and that is plenty bad medicine for 50 yd deer hunting.

It has been my experience that in 'general' the PRB does not leave a heavy blood trail very often.

Even with my .62 a double lung shot deer will usually fall within 50-60 and only leave a couple of drops between the hit and the grave.

With the smoke and all it is hard but very important to watch where the deer runs off to.

Makes recovering one a little easier

Leo

P.S.

Deer are pretty easy to kill. When I first used my .62 Tullie I used only 60gr of fff and went 3 for 3.

Good luck

Like the others have said, that load should be perfectly fine for deer. The one I just shot last Friday with a 54 cal PRB with 95gr of FFg had a complete pass through but only hit two rib bones. The blood trail in the snow was just sprays of mist that would have been very hard to see if there was just bare ground and no snow.

Often times, even a centerfire rifle round won't have a pass through if enough solid bone is hit.

The most important thing after the shot is, keep looking. It is sometimes hard to find blood when there is no snow, so I watch to see what direction it goes, and then just keep looking. I had 2 deer last year and one this year that had no visable blood trail, but found them all with a bit of looking. They seldom go more than 100 yards with a good hit. Keep trying and better luck next year.

Thanks to all for the encouraging words. The first stew was darn good tonight (my brother-in-law's buck). I think I'll go out for muzzleloader season after Christmas and try again.

Bill

Sometimes, especially with a high hit, they don't bleed on the outside until they fill up on the inside. By then they're usually dead.

Of the deer I've shot, most go 20-30 yards before they start leaving any blood. Some have gone over 100 yards with no blood trail. I can only think of 2 that left a heavy blood trail from the spot they were hit. That includes deer shot with broadheads, slugs and roundballs.

You're load is fine. Go get a bigger one. And enjoy the meat. :thumbsup:

Hellofrom Germany!

Congrats and Waidmanns Heil!
Seems to be a good load which you use. :thumbsup:

Regards

Kirrmeister

wjgramann said:
Thanks to all for the encouraging words. The first stew was darn good tonight (my brother-in-law's buck). I think I'll go out for muzzleloader season after Christmas and try again.

Bill
why not this weekend too? We got another 2 days of gun on the 15th and 16th.

Josh

Two reasons:

First, and most important, my lovely wife, who likes neither venison nor the killing thereof, has allowed me the last three weekends to hunt and deal with the aftermath, and now would like some company (and labor).

Second, the last several deer I saw were moving FAST. I'll do better in a couple weeks when maybe they've slowed down a bit.

Bill

I gotta go kiss my wife now. She doesn't plan on seeing to much of me from the bow opener on sept. 29 till the end in February. Don't complain a bit. She's a keeper. Doesn't hurt that she'll eat all the deer, squirrels, rabbits, and anything else that's made outta meat that I happen to bring home. Heck I got 2 deer and a bunch of sqirrels in the freezer and she's getting on me about "That won't last till september. Go get some more" :haha:

Josh

captaincaveman said:
I gotta go kiss my wife now. She doesn't plan on seeing to much of me from the bow opener on sept. 29 till the end in February. Don't complain a bit. She's a keeper. Doesn't hurt that she'll eat all the deer, squirrels, rabbits, and anything else that's made outta meat that I happen to bring home. Heck I got 2 deer and a bunch of sqirrels in the freezer and she's getting on me about "That won't last till september. Go get some more" :haha:

Josh

She's definitly a keeper! My wife has gotten like that & even better.....she likes to go too. She doesn't take much game, but she loves to go (weather permitting) & really likes it when we take the beagles out for bunnies.

Bald Mtn Man said:
captaincaveman said:

Josh

She's definitly a keeper! My wife has gotten like that & even better.....she likes to go too. She doesn't take much game, but she loves to go (weather permitting) & really likes it when we take the beagles out for bunnies.
mine is a little iffy about bangs, booms, and recoil. But she has been talking about wanting a bow :applause:

Josh

Back