• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

first experience with black powder hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgtgcarlson

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I have been a stalker for the past year, watching everything written on this site, yet always shy of writing anything myself. However, reading the story Silly Goose has written about his hunt the other day, has given me inspiration. Thank you Silly Goose.

Today was the last day of Deer season, and found me in a tree stand with my .45, and about 45 minutes of shooting light. Although very productive, I find sitting in a tree stand about as exciting as going shopping with my wife, and mother in law. I wasn't going to end the season that way. It was time to finish the season with a stalk. Damp leaves, a steady wind in my face, and a wide path through thick brush, perfect deer hunting. One, two, three steps, stop, watch and listen. Repeat. Twenty minutes later, there it is at 50 yards, a lone, mature deer. It's moving through the brush away from me, now it's gone. Dang. Wait, it's coming back. Yes. I'm concentrating with all I have, willing that deer to me.

This is my first experience with black powder hunting. I've hunted with rifle, bow and handgun. Silly Goose started me on this trek, by showing me his .62 cal smoothbore. I spent my childhood like many of you, hooked on Davy Crockett, and Daniel Boone. I knew immediately this was for me. So now the rifle, and handguns collect dust. I still bow hunt.

Anyway, there it is. My first black powder deer. I hear a noise to my left rear, it's a red squirrel. Well, that squirrel runs directly at that deer, and that deer is as nervous as I was on my wedding night. Just like that my hunt was over. I stood watching that deer run off, waving goodbye with that big white tail. WOW, that was great. Now I know why you all do this.

Well, the season is over, and no deer for me, but that squirrel just reminded me to get out the .36. Thanks for listening.

Glad to read your post! I know I don't have to tell you this, "its all about the journey". If every hunt ended with a deer on the ground it wouldn't be the same. That is what makes it so sweet when it all comes together. If I never said this before, the first year I used bp, I didn't connect. On the last day, 10 minutes before sunset(end of shooting time), I had a doe approaching my makeshift blind at about 20 yards away crossing left to right. She would have walked by me at about 10 yards. When she got to 15, I cocked the hammer in anticipation of her making that last 5 yards and walking into my clearing. Let me tell you something, when she heard that hammer cock, she turned herself inside out getting outta there. No ifs, ands, or buts. So close I could already taste those chops. How quickly things change. Oh, and now I know how to cock my lock silently. :grin:

Good job, welcome to the best hobby I know of.

Welcome, and thanks for sharing your hunt - as noted and well put by silly goose it is a journey; and at least for me is more about the total experience, making meat is nice, but a day afield, without even taking a shot, has it's own rewards.

Sounds like you had a lot of fun anyway.
I turned a squil inside out one year that wouldnt leave me alone. :doh:

You had an enjoyable day in the woods that can be used as a learning tool. It is not a requirement to kill a deer but when you do it is icing on the cake. Dan.

Oh, and now I know how to cock my lock silently.

Shot a nice hole in the ground trying that with a NICE buck slowly feeding 40 yds away. Pull trigger, pull hammer back, release trigger, release hammer...BOOM! :shocked2: That was an old kit .54 hawking CVA I bought at an albertsons in Phx az in the 80's, never did that before but I did have to clean n adjust trigger to get it to work after that mishap. Next day I was at same place hoping for a second chance and found a gut pile :shake: Guess he did come back but a bit earlier than me. :doh:

Sounds like you had a great time to me. I remember shaking like an over frozen penguin when I saw my first deer while hunting.

Great story! Thanks for sharing!
:thumbsup:

Welcome to the "Damn Squirrel Did It To Me" club! I offended an old grey last season and we spent the rest of it with him jumping from tree to tree chattering away the whole time I'd be around. Got off one shot and proved just how far you can deflect a round .600" ball with a pencil sized limb...that 4 point is probably still running! :rotf: The best part was the last day when it was unusually quiet till the acorns started to drop around me too regularly and looking up, there was Yodels getting another ready! I totally lost it then. No deer but I've got a story to tell around campfires till the second coming! :wink: :haha:

Wes/Tex said:
Welcome to the "Damn Squirrel Did It To Me" club! I offended an old grey last season and we spent the rest of it with him jumping from tree to tree chattering away the whole time I'd be around. Got off one shot and proved just how far you can deflect a round .600" ball with a pencil sized limb...that 4 point is probably still running! :rotf: The best part was the last day when it was unusually quiet till the acorns started to drop around me too regularly and looking up, there was Yodels getting another ready! I totally lost it then. No deer but I've got a story to tell around campfires till the second coming! :wink: :haha:

I once had a similar experience. I was sitting in a climbing stand, in a white oak grove when this guardian of the realm, a 3 pound fox squirrel, found me and started telling every forest creature within ear shot about my family heritage, my stature as a human male, and my ability to procreate. He bounced around from tree to tree and finally ended up on a limb, at eye level, in the same tree I was in. At a distance of about ten feet, he continued his tirade. By then, he had alerted everything in the area of my presence and I had enough. I sent a .50 caliber PRB towards him, that entered his mouth and came out through the tip of his tail. There wasn't enough of him left to pick up. Keep yer powder dry.......Robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Deputy Dog said:
he had alerted everything in the area of my presence and I had enough. I sent a .50 caliber PRB towards him, that entered his mouth and came out through the tip of his tail.

A friend of mine had one of the little red squirrels do that to him while bowhunting and at a distance of about 5 feet he cut it in half with a big Zwickey broadhead!

:idunno: Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes he eats you.At least you had a great 1st BP hunt. :hatsoff: Griz

Latest posts

Back