• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First flintlock turkeys!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalejrfan308

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My brother and I succeeded on our first turkey hunt with flintlocks this morning. We camped overnight on the mountain and scored these two gobblers just after sunrise. What a thrill to do it in 18th century fashion.

-Andrew

IMG_20150411_065635356_zpsm6tl6k0a.jpg

IMG_20150411_065801403_zpstixgy7wm.jpg

IMG_20150411_065849461_zpsamnkoyqn.jpg

IMG_20150411_072253625_HDR_zpsuh9h0llp.jpg

IMG_20150411_072404965_zps5qr2osjs.jpg

That is simply outstanding, congratulations to you both !! Cannot over-estimate the credibility of your accomplishments when you share good hunting / hunter photos like those as well...
:hatsoff:

Wow!!!

Congratulations to both of you.

Would love to hear a little more about the hunt if possible!

I'm sure neither of you will soon forget this hunt! :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing, Skychief.

But...neither of you are wearing any camo...and there's no camo on your guns! How could this be? :wink: :grin:

Seriously...my hearty congratulations to both of you. Great period dress, a night out in the woods, and a fantastic hunt in the morning...and all with family. How can it possibly get any better than that? :hatsoff: :hatsoff: (one for each of you)

Excellent hunting! Congrats to both of you.

However, wearing red (pants) and white while turkey hunting on public land is a dangerous thing. I won't even wear a white t-shirt under my clothes. There are too many unsafe people walking around with guns in the turkey woods. They don't seem to need an excuse to shoot someone but I wouldn't tempt them with gobbler colors.

I personally know 2 people who were shot while turkey hunting .. one by his hunting partner who got "mixed up". The other was in a blind with a decoy out front and someone shot the hen decoy and him in the process.

Be safe.

Patocazador said:
There are too many unsafe people walking around with guns in the turkey woods. They don't seem to need an excuse to shoot someone but I wouldn't tempt them with gobbler colors.

A very sad truth and good advice. I have a hat band that includes white bone and white/red beads and that comes off for turkey season.

Andrew Congrats on a fine hunt ,thats huntin like the settlers done it. Curt

You fellers done good, thanks for the great pictures. When you get time tell us a little more about the hunt. :hatsoff:

Excellent hunting and shooting, I like the period dress also. Please tell us the gauges and loads you all used. They look like nice smoothbores to me. Where did you get them or did you make them your self?.

Back