• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

first groundhog of the year !!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silent sniper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
well i have been getting a itchy trigger finger lately seeing all the groundhogs around, i usually wait till july to make sure their babys are big enough to live on there own,but today i gave in :grin: i walked up to my bedroom and looked out my window at the field behind my house. i saw a big groundhog standing up on the far edge of the field. i tried to ignore it as best i could. i looked again 5 min later and it was still standing there ! so i decided to grab the jukar 45 long rifle which is kept loaded in the garage for going out on quick hunts whenever i have time. i grabbed the gun and slipped out the back door. i snuck around and threw the gun on the truck hood. the groundhog was still standing there ! so i decided i mides well try the shot :rotf: it was a long shot, with pretty high winds and i had never shot anything over 65 yards with this gun. i aimed dead on the groundhogs head and shot. the wind blew the smoke away quick enough that i saw a puff of dust on the hog from the impact of the ball, then the hog dropped. i couldnt belive i hit the hog and actually i had doubts that i did hit it. i walked over and there lay the hog ! i hit it right at the base of the head. i stepped off the shot and it was 81 yards ! it is my furthest muzzleloader kill so far. i decided sense it was such a good shot that i would skin the hog and try egg tanning the skin. hopefully it will come out nice. my load was 50 grains goex FFF,.440 ball and a deer tallow lubed denium patch. the gun had been loaded for a week. enjoy SS
04170012131.jpg

04170012141.jpg

exit hole in neck
0417001213a1.jpg

SS Now that is some good shooting grandson,I sure am proud of you. That beats my 70 yrd shot back in the day. Well we both have one each, but my shot was only 20ft :grin: Keep up the good shooting. :thumbsup: PP Dilly

great going . excellent hunt and excellent shot. I am unfamilar with egg tanning, what is that?

Looks like you're living up to your forum name. Nice shot! :thumbsup:

egg tanning is the same process as brain tanning except you use egg instead of brain. i have used it before with good results.

You use 12 egg yokes instead of brains. Brains are almost all cholesterol,egg yokes are mostly cholesterol. He has a hard time getting brains since the mad cow disease. His mom has her own chickens. You have to add some water. Dilly

Way to go SS, That serves em' right for tempting you for 5 mins. :wink: :thumbsup: You fellows keep up the good work :hatsoff:

Nice job! :thumbsup:

I know someone else who does groundhogs 'bout as good as you! Grandpop is PROUD for sure!

Keep up the good work with that .45!

Dave

That was some very good shooting! And as for tanning, I'd rather mess with eggs than, ugh, brains!

Great shot! That's a pretty prefectly round lookin' borehole you made in 'im. :hmm:

Great job SS, :thumbsup: enjoyed your story! Keep them comin.
Dusty :wink:

Back