• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First hunt of the season - successful?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pork Chop

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I finally got out to go hunt this season. I took the Mountain Rifle and put on my hunting clothes (red long underwear, jeans and green wool shirt - as close as I get to traditional at this point) and struck off to the swamp. Other than one squirrel that was running away at lightning speed, I saw nothing. The rifle did not speak today. But, I did come home with some venison!

I know that does not add up, but here is the rest of the story as Paul Harvey would say... Last week while visiting my father in law, I called a buddy and shamed him into going hunting. I called him at 4:30pm. He got to his stand a 5:30pm and called me at 6:30pm to tell me that the buck was in his truck! Well, I dropped by after the unsuccessful outing, and he had just picked up the deer from the processor and gave me some of it!

Hello from GE!

Congrats and Waidmanns Heil to your buddy!
Hope you will be successful soon!

Regards

Kirrmeister

Yes, I do hunt in Florida. I was in the Santa Fe Swamp. Other than the odd bird and a single squirrel, I only saw 4 other hunters that day... Sigh...

I have been hunting my tail off for 9 days out of the last two weeks. Trying to get a shot at one or the other of 2 big bucks I saw at the hunting camp. After the 6th day I decided I better shoot one or two the does I have been passing on & get some meat in the freezer, can buck hunt later. Man I couldn't find a doe to shoot to save me.....

So, I come home, unload all of my stuff & put it in the basement, with thoughts of going back to the camp after Thanksgiving. This morning I get up & look out & think, I am going to go into the woods behind the house here to the range & see if any deer show up. Go out there,(bout 200' from the house) sit on my shooting bench, an hour later 3 does walk thru the field & into the woods & up to about 25 yards from me & I dropped the largest of them.

The conclusion is, before ya go packing up & heading out to hunt someplace else, ya may want to look in yer own back yard first !! :rotf: :rotf:

Birddog6 said:
The conclusion is, before ya go packing up & heading out to hunt someplace else, ya may want to look in yer own back yard first !! :rotf: :rotf:

Yep,

Same here. My son and I hunted hard for several days during the early muzzleloader season, didn't get anything. The following Monday afternoon he shot a nice doe off the front porch.

Most expensive deer stand I ever bought...

Congratulations on your deer -

Spot

Birddog6 said:

Well, I have seen a doe in the neighborhood, but the problem is that I live in the suburbs. The neighbors may have a bit of an issue if I were to be wielding firearms up and down the street. My backyard would only suffice for hunting squirrel - with a Red Ryder...

Back