• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First ML Deer!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, today was my day. My interest in blackpowder hunting has rekindled an interest in deer hunting. I have not been or wanted to go deer hunting in probably 10+ years, but I was very excited to participate in the muzzleloader season this year.

I hunted Monday morning, Wednesday afternoon and Thursday afternoon without seeing anything but the buck my buddy shot. Today, I sat all morning in an area with lots of sign. At 11am a nice doe came out in front of me. Being rusty at deer hunting, I was excited and underestimed the doe's intelligence and got busted trying to move my gun. :shake: I was rethinking that and kicking myself mentally, when she wheezed about 40 yards off to my right. I couldn't see her but the wind was still in my favor. I stayed alert and then she wheezed again behind me, which is down in a low area. I got turned around and she was walking through there. I couldn't shoot when I first spotted her because there was too much brush. She started moving again and I was able to get her stopped for a decent shot at about 60 yards. I was on the top of a 30ft. ridge and so the shot was at a steep downward angle. The .490" PRB from my New Englander hit her high behind the shoulder and angled down to exit centre on the far side. As confirmed for me in a previous thread on this forum, 75gr. 3F is indeed enough as the ball passed completely through. One lung was mush and the other had a big ol' hole bored right through the center of it. She ran 50 yards and piled up in mid-leap. There was some blood and hair where I hit here, and a little blood on the trail but tracking in the 12" of snow was very easy. I was pretty thrilled with the experience. She is a nice doe - as big as the buck my buddy shot.

Next year I want to do it with my .62 flintlock smoothie!

As mentioned, I have not hunted deer in years. I am excited to have some good venison in the freezer again. We had fresh venison tonight. I cooked loin medallions two ways - I browned all pieces first and then finished some in a caramalized blueberry jam sauce and the rest simmered a few minutes in a can of cream of mushroom soup. Yum! :grin:

DSCN0427.jpg

Good work man...congratulations !!
:thumbsup:

(do ya'll really hunt in all that white stuff ?)

Way to go :thumbsup: By the looks of how you are dressed, your weather is better than ours. I wanted to get out for Ruffed grouse but the temp was -28 and a wind chill of -41 this morning.

-28 / -41? Yikes!! Today was mild here... it got up to +1 Canadian degrees and the sun came out right after I got my deer. We had cloud and some light snow earlier.

roundball said:
do ya'll really hunt in all that white stuff ?

Absolutely, sir! The deer woods is the best with fresh snow! :thumbsup: We don't seem to get as much as we used too, but it came early this year and I welcome it. Last year, we had no snow until after Christmas. Great White North indeed! :rotf:

Good work Baron, noting like fresh medallions :thumbsup:By the way Welcome back to deer hunting! Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Baron,
Congratulations! That is a very nice looking
doe. Welcome back to the real deal,Traditional
B/P hunting.
snake-eyes:hatsoff:

Congratulations. :hatsoff: That is a nice big deer. Beautiful country too. One thing I miss since moving to Texas is being able to deer hunt in the snow.

Beatiful big body doe there mate! They grow big in those colder climates, she has the body of a typical buck around here.

Congrats :hatsoff:

I took a nice fat doe yesterday morning myself at 7:10am with my .50 flintlock. Ball didn't exit as it took out some ribs, deer went about as far as yours. Found the ball next to the hide on the other side mushroomed to about the size of a quarter. And there are people that say PRB's aren't efficent and don't expand :youcrazy:

Enjoy the feeling and venison :thumbsup:

Mike

Welcome back to the woods. Deer hunting and snow are ment for each other, as is bp and deer hunting. There's something special about taking a deer with a primitive weapon. Congrats!!

Nice Deer Baron!
Way to go!Nothing like killing a Deer with a Muzzleloader. :thumbsup:
Our Snow we had During Deer Season has melted now but it's still pretty Cold with highs today only expecting to be -10 and that's out of the wind,probably double it in the wind chill.
I noticed you have,what looks to be a Pewter Nose cap on your New Englander?You put it there?

Halftail said:
I noticed you have,what looks to be a Pewter Nose cap on your New Englander?You put it there?

Very observant Halftail! Yes, I believe it is a pewter nose cap. I did not put it on... I bought the gun used and it came that way. I kinda like it - it adds a speacial touch to make my New Englander unique. The workmanship is pretty good, not a master craftsman though. I have some closer photos of that detail inf'n yer interested. :v

Latest posts

Back