• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

first ML groundhog of the year !!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silent sniper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
today i decided to resight in my grandpas 32 cal cva squirrel rifle for an upcoming muzzleloader shooting match. i shot the gun off a rest and at 30 yards it was shooting 6 inchs 2 the left..no wonder i missed all those squirrels during squirrel season lol. anyway i got it sighted in dead on at 30 yards with 20 grains FFF and a heavy patch under a .311 ball. the patching is thick denium and the roundball with this patching will almost have 2 be hammered down the barrel...but it is very accurate. so after i got the gun sighted in i decided 2 go on a walk. i crested a hill and saw a groundhog hunched over like a squirrel eating grass on the edge of a hay field. i quickly ducked back behind the hill and thought of my options. this groundhog was was more then 30 yards. it would be a LONG shot for the little 32 with only 20 grains FFF. i could cirle around but i doubted it would work because of the swirling wind. so i decided to risk the long shot. i pulled the hammer back to full cock and set the set trigger. i stook up and saw the hog still hunched unmoved from the moment before. i pulled the gun up..aim 1-2 inchs over its head 2 compensate for drop and touched the trigger...BANG......POP the hog dropped as the pop from the ball hitting it in the head ecoed thru the woods. the hog didnt move a muscle after it went down. i jumped up in the air and Yelled YES!!! in excitment. i ran down and looked at the hog. it was now dead and i stopped for a moment to say a quick prayer and thank god. then i stepped off the shot...55 yards !!!! i was still very excited that i had actully hit it. i had used a wheel weight ball that papa and i cast the weekend before. the ball was lodged on the other side of the hogs cheek. the ball was very hard lead so it penetated much deeper then a soft lead ball. also it wasnt deformed at all other then a couple scratchs on the surface of the ball..now bad for going thru both tough jaw bones. this was very very fun...much funner then shooting hogs with high powered rifles. i will stick with the loaders from now on
enjoy SS
DSCF3249.jpg

DSCF3250.jpg

DSCF3253.jpg

regular ball compared 2 ball from hogs head
DSCF3256.jpg

Good shootin!

My first m/l hunting was 'chucks with a friend who has long since moved out of state and I do miss those days. Now I limit myself to those that come visit my garden instead of pushing through pastures to find them.

Way to go Sniper! I always enjoy tuning into your threads as it is almost like being there! Always enjoy the photos along with your stories. Good work and keep posting for us! :applause:

Good shootin' SS! :thumbsup:
There's a fat one under my buddies hay barn I might take a whack at soon.

Good shootin' SS! :hatsoff: great story to go with the pics.

My homestead in NC had land beavers too but I shot them with my 22 most of the time. Didn't have a MLer then.

Steve

Good shooting grandson :thumbsup: Wish I had a ML when I was your age. Got my first Ml in 82 44years old. You got a good start,Makes me proud. Good hunting. Dilly

Latest posts

Back