• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

first muzzle loader deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ridgescool

Pilgrim
Reaction score
After my brother in law talked me into it, I bought a TC Hawken 50 caliber flintlock. Boy am i glad he did. I have enjoyed archery for several years, but never knew the thrill of a M. L. hunt. I had been out a few times last year, and barely got the hammer pulled back as I spooked several doe on one occasion, but i had never pulled the set trigger at a live target. Last Thursday evening was very windy, but i took my son's climber which has a fully enclosed rail around the seat that i figured i could use as a rest if a shot presented. I have taken 25shots or so at the range and was holding an adequate group at 40 yards. At 6pm, she appeared 60 yards away. After repositioning twice, i was set up on the right side for a shot. I had several small beech trees around me for cover. The beeches seemed to be holding most of their leaves longer than the other types of trees. She came to 25 yards at what i thought was broadside when i fired. The wind took care of the smoke rather quickly which is why i saw her jump a bit straight up, hesitated for a second or two and then bolted. As i climbed down, i couldn't see any sign of a hit. I was laughing at myself as i felt i had flinched quite badly. I thought, 'at least i missed her clean' and was thinking what a rookie M L mistake i had made. I saw her run for 50 yards and then she disappeared. Between the fading light and the beech leaves waving, i did not see her go down and assumed i had missed. As i followed the trail she had taken, i saw no sign, and then.... 50 yards away,there she was. The height of the shot was good, but i had pulled the shot and the entry was in front of the front shoulder. The exit was just behind the opposite shoulder. I am hooked, and can't wait for late season as i have a bonus doe tag. I may pass up a shot with my bow so i don't tag out. I almost can't believe i just said that. I hope i loaded the pic correctly.
]Link[/url]

Congratulations!
:hatsoff:

Sounds like you're hooked for sure...Flintlocks are addictive and T/C's Flintlock is a good one, took game with them for many years.
(the link wouldn't work for me)

Nice, congrats!! :thumbsup:

I couldn't pull up the picture though.. could just be me :haha:

Congratulations on a successful flintlock hunt. As Roundball said, Flintlocks are addictive . Most people want a flinter after shooting a good one.

Congrats!!!!!!!!!! I know how you feel I took my first trad deer this year using a .50 cal T/C Hawken percussion.

I figured out how to get the pic. I was alone, so sorry for the poor pic quality.
SDC10057.jpg

Man thats excellent! big doe too! lotsa meat fer jerky and stew and sausage and well... lota meat on that one!! :) :thumbsup:

Back