• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First roundball deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flinter40

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just finished a great week of hunting in CO with great friends/family.

I scored my first sidelock/roundball harvest of hopefully many more to come.

I must admit it is very satisfying to harvest a deer with a muzzleloader and even more so with one you put together yourself. The lead roundball performed wonderfully.

IMG_0261.jpg

Like wattlebuster said, "it can be habbit forming!" Thanks for the great memories!! I had a blast!! We will definatly do it next year if we can draw the tags!!

Yep, thats a real nice doe! lotsa meat on that one. :thumbsup: A roundball will do it every time.

Congratulations on a very nice deer. There's nothing like taking a deer with a prb in a muzzleloader. I hunt exclusively with prb and can attest to their terminal performance.

Thanks. The rifle is a CVA Bobcat that I restocked after the original lock self destructed. The lock came from another CVA or traditions. The stock started as a blank from Dunlap that I shaped to resemble a hivernant rifle I saw at the TOW page that appealed to me. The buttplate and trigger guard are handmade.

This hunt gave me the motivation to complete this long ongoing project. Overall I am pleased with the result of my first attempt at a rifle and am eager to try my hand at another.

There was no exit hole on this side of the deer.

The shot entered just behind the shoulder, clipped the top of the heart and caught the offside leg just below the joint on this side. The bone was broken up pretty good and there was a small hole in the hide to the inside of the leg. I did not recover the ball. I'm not sure if that hole was an exit or caused by bone fragments.

The load was 80gr of 3F with a .490 ball wrapped in .015 patch. Shot distance was about 60yds.

Back