• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Scrimshaw Attempt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My second attempt:

Attachments

• IMG_0858.jpeg
    IMG_0858.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0864.jpeg
    IMG_0864.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
I love it, very well done! What did you use to carve it?
Thanks, Kerry! This was done with a carbide-tipped scribe and a pin holder with a sewing needle for some of the finer details.

We’ve all got our own strengths and weaknesses, man. I think a lot of it has to do with what we’re passionate about and how much time we’re willing to invest into becoming better at honing any given skill.

This is my first attempt at scrimshaw on horn. After five hours of holding a sail needle in a 3” pin vice, I don’t think my hand will ever uncramp! I’ll likely do a decorative border of some sort and add some more artwork or a slogan or two… heck, what’s a powder horn without “Liberty or Death” scrawled on it, anyway?

I’d appreciate any feedback or tips you can provide. Thanks in advance!

View attachment 317324View attachment 317325View attachment 317326View attachment 317327View attachment 317328
This is my first attempt at scrimshaw on horn. After five hours of holding a sail needle in a 3” pin vice, I don’t think my hand will ever uncramp! I’ll likely do a decorative border of some sort and add some more artwork or a slogan or two… heck, what’s a powder horn without “Liberty or Death” scrawled on it, anyway?

I’d appreciate any feedback or tips you can provide. Thanks in advance!

View attachment 317324View attachment 317325View attachment 317326View attachment 317327View attachment 317328
Nice work. And I think your message is great.

Amazing progression, I really liked the cross hatching pieces. I hope you haven’t given up on that. Definitely give it a second try with another subject that might be more forgiving if you’re wary of it.

Back